The Student Room Group

Graduate entry into medicine for MaxFacs

Hey there!!
I guess I'm on here as I need a little advice really... I graduated from dentistry in july this year, and am currently in my VT year. I have decided to do a Maxillofacial SHO next year and hopefully continue along that path. However in order for me to be a MaxFacs surgeon I would need to do medicine, so it is going to be a long looooong journey.

There are graduate medicine courses that are 4 years, but a lot of the consultants I've spoken to have said they did a 3 year fast track course. Does such a thing exist anymore??

Also, how hard is it to get into medicine as a graduate applicant?? Is the interview a lot more difficult??

Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!
:smile: Keep Smilin'! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by funkyfairy87
Hey there!!
I guess I'm on here as I need a little advice really... I graduated from dentistry in july this year, and am currently in my VT year. I have decided to do a Maxillofacial SHO next year and hopefully continue along that path. However in order for me to be a MaxFacs surgeon I would need to do medicine, so it is going to be a long looooong journey.

There are graduate medicine courses that are 4 years, but a lot of the consultants I've spoken to have said they did a 3 year fast track course. Does such a thing exist anymore??

Also, how hard is it to get into medicine as a graduate applicant?? Is the interview a lot more difficult??

KCL have a specific MaxFax Entry programme but it is 4 years, the same as the standard graduate entry programmes: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/medicine/ugstudy/entry/max.html
Reply 2
Some universities allow you to enter directly into third year - Glasgow does and there's others. (Glasgow doesn't have a graduate entry program.)
Reply 3
Original post by Meltdown30
Some universities allow you to enter directly into third year - Glasgow does and there's others. (Glasgow doesn't have a graduate entry program.)

really??? I didn't know that!! I tried looking on their website and they havnt written anything about it... how do I apply for it?? :redface:
Reply 4
really??? I didn't know that!! I tried looking on their website and they havnt written anything about it... how do I apply for it?? :redface:

I can't find it either but there's someone in my year that's a direct entrant to third year that's a dentist. The admissions secretary at [email protected] should be able to tell you if they still offer it. I'm sure other universities do too.
Reply 5
Original post by Meltdown30
I can't find it either but there's someone in my year that's a direct entrant to third year that's a dentist. The admissions secretary at [email protected] should be able to tell you if they still offer it. I'm sure other universities do too.

Thats awesome! I'll email them and ask! If I can get onto a 3yr course that would save me an extra year of my life! thank you for letting me know :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Hygeia
KCL have a specific MaxFax Entry programme but it is 4 years, the same as the standard graduate entry programmes: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/medicine/ugstudy/entry/max.html

I've had a look at this course before, but its only for mfds candidates. MFDS is no longer available, its being replaced with MJDF so I dont know if they will accept that. Also, I wouldn't be able to complete it in time as I need to have spent at least 2 years in practice. :frown: Would have been perfect otherwise... Thanks for letting me know anyway :smile:
Hey there!!

Why you would want to spend all that time to be a maxfax surgeon i don't know.

Although at least whilst studying you can earn some cashola!

[that said I anaesthetised someone last week for a really long maxfax case - removed tumour from and much of jawbone then reconstructed it with fibula graft. Very gory, looked like predator for much of operation but rather cool. Lasted 12 hours though...]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
maxfax*
Reply 9
Original post by Jamie
Why you would want to spend all that time to be a maxfax surgeon i don't know.

Although at least whilst studying you can earn some cashola!

[that said I anaesthetised someone last week for a really long maxfax case - removed tumour from and much of jawbone then reconstructed it with fibula graft. Very gory, looked like predator for much of operation but rather cool. Lasted 12 hours though...]

I'm guessing your an anaesthetist? Yeah I know it's a long journey but the more I think about it the more I feel a lot happier and a lot more convinced it's the right path for me.. :smile:
Original post by Jamie

My mum used to be a theatre-based/surgical dental nurse and has lots of stories like that ^^ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest