Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 11 and most of you would know what that means. Yes, GCSEs. Man, they're coming in quicker than I thought. I just done a Maths mock exam today and I barely revised. I am in doubt because I do bad in the subject as I'm in a too high set. This is a mock fortnight, with the first week just been done like the already mentioned Maths exam.

I know you're going to say to revise but I hate revision. I feel 'controlled' when I do it. Not to mention that it is boring. The Student Room here does have revision notes but I doubt those would work. So, I would want a form of revision that would be;

• Quick
    • Simple
    • Aid memory
    • Not dull

Any ideas, please?

ReputationRep:
    If there is a specification / checklist with all the things the exam board will/could test you on. If you go on the exam boards website they will usually have one otherwise you could ask your teacher.
    Just read it and make notes on the specification as you go along. It does the job with me, I cant bear to just sit down staring at a book. A checklist actually does really help, especially when it includes all the things your expected to know.

Or watch some youtube videos on the things your trying to revise, it helps me even though it might sound sad, but be warned, this method is very distracting!

Good luck with all your exams and Id highly recommend finding a specification for your subject(s) and if you cant ask your teacher, they will help and they keep you doing something.

Hope ive helped
    P.s The CGP revision guides, if available to your course are especially useful, they can help you quickly revise and I would highly recommend one.

Try these and see which one you find best

ReputationRep:
    I found the stuff on bitesize fairly useful, but it might not cover all your subjects.

I found creating spider diagrams on paint with words missing helpful and less dull because you can mess about with the colours and effects and it ends up looking silly. Then later on, you can test yourself a few times over by filling the gaps in and seeing what you get right.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you cover all the topics in the spec. And anything else that may possibly come up for good measure. Each subject should be revisable in 2-3 days if you focus. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Once you start you'll get into the mood. Its the starting thats hard .Some techniques works great for some and not so great for others. It's all about personal preference. For me its spider diagrams. So just find the best one for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 aswell and I think the best way of revision are definetly revision cards. Include lots of diagrams and short sentences, the more you read them, the more they will stay in your long term memory for your exam. It may not work for you but they are so convenient, they can even be read in the while you eat

ReputationRep:
    the search function

ReputationRep:
    Get some good books start to revise.

ReputationRep:
    i swear upon using a white board.

i have a massive one that I use for spider diagrams for history and compile whole essay plans and redraw them over and over.

for chemistry i find it was the easiest way to learn mechanisms and it was crucial in my physics and biology revision. Although I cannot be certain it could probably be applied to most other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    For sciences and fact based subjects all you need to do is spend the few nights before the exam writing out the text book with this method:

Read a paragraph out loud, write bullet point summaries of each paragraph (whilst saying it out loud/under your breath). And after that do a practive question. This method will embedd the info in your memory solidly enough for the exam the next day. Even if you don't feel like you know it, you'll see it all come out right in the exam.

At least, this is my experience and I recon I did quite well in my GCSES.

EvanMF

ReputationRep:
    Mindmaps work best for me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.