Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any other lower sixth beginning to dislike Chemistry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I took Chemistry having attained a good grade at GCSE thinking, "hmm this should be good" and whilst, intially it was partly interesting, now I hate it!

I mean, if it were up to me I'd just quit and carry on with my other A levels since I'm doing 4 other a levels anyway.

It just seems like a bit of a sham, learning all of these definitions and what not whilst not fully knowing what they mean. I can remember my Physics because there is an explanation for the terms used, but in Chemistry it's just the whole, "learn it for the exam" BS.

I also find it to be an incredibly tedious subject; whilst there is some element of interest (see what I did there? xD), it just doesn't make total sense.

Anyway, rant over - conclusion: I despise Chemistry AS Unit 1 (Atleast)

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same at the start of AS, but i started to like it more and more as the year went on. I think it was just the first organic topic that made me hate the subject at the beginning, before it all clicked together.

ReputationRep:
    My mate was exactly the same. He got A* at GCSE, enjoyed it and then wanted to do it at uni.

Hes now applying for physics :p:

ReputationRep:
    love the subject, hate the lessons - only because i have **** teachers and never actually learn anything in the lessons. It was fine before my organic teacher left to have her baby :P

ReputationRep:
    wait till you start learning for unit 2

ReputationRep:
    It's a little harder than physics, but I haven't seen as much memorizing as biology in it...

ReputationRep:
    it's okay.. better than Biology.. :L

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it alright... all the a-levels are requiring a fair bit of work

ReputationRep:
    Like the subject, but I hate the wordy questions - "you have to mention this, this and this if you want the marks" - it's like Biology. Just give me some moles calculations or something on alkanes and I'd be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Not personally because I didn't choose it, but I have mates who are taking it and are not really enjoying it.

ReputationRep:
    AS Chemistry > AS Physics

ReputationRep:
    I thought the same thing earlier in the term, but it's actually alright now. And easy.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is actually one of my favourite subjects this year. I've got a great teacher and I'm finding it very interesting. The only thing I don't like is the mole calculations. We're starting organic chemistry soon though and I've heard it's good. Maybe you'll find the next topics alot more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    I took Chemistry having attained a good grade at GCSE thinking, "hmm this should be good" and whilst, intially it was partly interesting, now I hate it!

I mean, if it were up to me I'd just quit and carry on with my other A levels since I'm doing 4 other a levels anyway.

It just seems like a bit of a sham, learning all of these definitions and what not whilst not fully knowing what they mean. I can remember my Physics because there is an explanation for the terms used, but in Chemistry it's just the whole, "learn it for the exam" BS.

I also find it to be an incredibly tedious subject; whilst there is some element of interest (see what I did there? xD), it just doesn't make total sense.

Anyway, rant over - conclusion: I despise Chemistry AS Unit 1 (Atleast)
    I hated it when I was doing it for AS there is no real logic behind it just tons of stuff that you have to remember... Im still doing it now for A2 but I find some parts interesting but others boring...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariq786)
    AS Chemistry > AS Physics
    Complete opposite here; I understand Physics but Chemistry is just boring to me

ReputationRep:
    Do extra reading around the topics you do. AS chemistry is a fair step up from GCSE but I agree that it still lacks depth, which gives to the course's banality. I've found that once you start to read around and get a proper understanding of some underlying concepts, it becomes interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I actually hate it now.
    Prefer biology tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to get better... unit one is full of definitions and basically memorising stuff but unit 2 you start drawing more molecules and learning more equations which are more fun. I'm doing unit 3 atm and each past paper has had 1 definition or none so they do scrape them out eventually. :P

ReputationRep:
    it was fine at the beginning but then it got annoying wih the hess law, born haber and then it was fine again and then organic chem came up and i was like :eek: wtf but it all clicks now.

i dont love it but i dont hate it, still need to brush up on em hess law calcs

ReputationRep:
    Power through it, last year in my AS so many people quit that it was unreal at the start - none of them got to see that throughout the 2 years it gets easier (as building on knowledge you already know) and more interesting.

Even if you mess up your first exam like I did, the retake will be piss by June as you build on your knowledge so much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.