Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tuition Fees: What would Labour have done? Watch

ReputationRep:
    **Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm new and haven't checked!**

What do you think they would have done? Did they mention regards to tuition fees in their previous manifesto? Do you also think Ed Milliband will change this in 2015?

All opinions thanks!
    :ahee:

They commissioned the Browne report, they would've pretty much done what it told them to. Labour just won't admit this so they can pretend they're the student-friendly party.

ReputationRep:
      Put them up. Maybe by more than the coalition.

Don't forget - the first party to introduce tuition fees, and with it the idea that higher education isn't a right - was the Labour Party.

ReputationRep:
      I find it hard to believe that a party that introduced them, and then raised them, wouldn't have done so again.

ReputationRep:
      Obviously Labour would have put them up. On the other hand, they wouldn't have first signed pledges saying they wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FyreFight)
      Put them up. Maybe by more than the coalition.

Don't forget - the first party to introduce tuition fees, and with it the idea that higher education isn't a right - was the Labour Party.
      I see they were the first to introduce tuition fees however I personally don't see this as a bad thing. Bearing in mind I've only known University with tuition fees therefore my opinions are fairly biased.
      I don't believe that higher education is a full right that should be offered freely as I think the value of a degree would drop (due to it being easily accessible).

I may be completely wrong however and single minded on the subject. But this is why I ask for opinions

ReputationRep:
      Why can't England just do what Scotland does they seem to be just fine

ReputationRep:
      Put the fees up, and most probably would have also introduced a graduate tax, they knew better than anyone that the old/(current) system is economically unstable. Why else do you think they've stayed pretty quiet through this whole thing?

ReputationRep:
      Pretty sure they said if they were elected they'd have gone ahead with what the Browne review said.

Sadiq Khan said they'd have raised them by a few hundred pounds.

ReputationRep:
        Probably raised them, but I doubt it would've been as high.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Petit Pois)
        I see they were the first to introduce tuition fees however I personally don't see this as a bad thing. Bearing in mind I've only known University with tuition fees therefore my opinions are fairly biased.
        I don't believe that higher education is a full right that should be offered freely as I think the value of a degree would drop (due to it being easily accessible).

I may be completely wrong however and single minded on the subject. But this is why I ask for opinions
        I do think you are completely wrong on the subject, for the following reasons..

If universities are public funded they would be stuck to a certain budget and only be able to allow a certain amount of students who they would filter according to their grades.

When universities are privately funded, it's in their interests to take on as many students as possible, the more students, the more money.

Therefore it is the private route which will see the value of degrees drop, as has been seen in the 50% rise in the number of people in higher education since privatisation was first partly introduced 10 years ago.

ReputationRep:
        Probably done exactly the same, and the Tories and Lib Dems would have voted against.

Seriously, the only reason Labour voted against was an attempt to get the student vote if they were the ones in government with or without the Lib Dems the exact same thing would have happened.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by garethDT)
        I do think you are completely wrong on the subject, for the following reasons..

If universities are public funded they would be stuck to a certain budget and only be able to allow a certain amount of students who they would filter according to their grades.

When universities are privately funded, it's in their interests to take on as many students as possible, the more students, the more money.

Therefore it is the private route which will see the value of degrees drop, as has been seen in the 50% rise in the number of people in higher education since privatisation was first partly introduced 10 years ago.
        Never read anything more true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.