Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The death of F1... Watch

ReputationRep:
    In 2012, F1 rules are changing again.

Gone are the 2.4 V8's and instead we get 1.6 v6's....All in the name of being "green."

Apart of what makes f1 so fantastic for me is that its the best of modern technology, and its so different, so much more intense than any other motorsport.

We have "green" cars. Lotus! I'd be more happy to drive a green car if i could watch a v10 f1 twice a month. I miss that beautiful, aggressive sound.

This is the latest attempt by the fia to kill f1 i feel.

Linky for all those who love the old v10 noise....

ReputationRep:
    There are reward centres in my brain hotwired to that specific sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    There are reward centres in my brain hotwired to that specific sound.
    lol same. It seems to be a male thing, as i played that video as i found it, and the other guy in the kitchen ran over to watch it, whilst both the girls in the kitchen immediately started moaning.

But yeah, that noise. Its so beautiful, so primevil. I dont want to listen to formula go karts thanks jean todd.

ReputationRep:
    utterly rubbish, 'green' engines, seriously; when will people (fia) stop believing the crap governments say about climate change etc..

Steal money and carry some expensive 'researches' and produce fake results saying that we must go 'green'. ok, let's go green, start with road cars etc.. but why make F1 less enjoyable. They are only 24 cars racing every fortnight for 8 months. BIG DEAL

Excuse my rambling, but yes; this is the end of f1. Next thing it is going to be racing on simulators. Why bother travel around the world. Jet engines have more 'impact' they say

ReputationRep:
    It is stupid, the contributions of the 22/24 cars going for a race compared to the emissions of the teams/equipment and tens of thousands of fans being flown all over the world is ridiculous.

I can see why they want to push it so they can use the tech in road cars, as has been done in the past, but still, I miss the glory days of screaming V10s...

At least they're expecting the same power output, so they at least aren't slowing the cars down (in theory), but maybe they need to put some huge speakers on the cars and play recordings of the 2003/4 season engines haha

ReputationRep:
    F1 is not dying, it is going through a revolution.

ReputationRep:
    This has nothing to do with "Helping the environment", it's too attract an audience that think F1 should be more environmentally friendly. A whole race affects pollution rates less than a UK-Australia plane trip.

As for "Death of F1" comment then no, simply no. The cars will not get slower it's just that the extra other power will be gained by kinetic sources. The cars won't sound any different, the scream when they start up will always be there. You must remember there are lots of factors that made them come to this decision. Also with front wings becoming smaller by 2013 we will have the most pure racing ever not dogged by ridiculous reliability issues.

I don't post in this forum since the level of intellect when it comes to F1 is extremely low but people jumping to conclusion just annoys the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    lol same. It seems to be a male thing, as i played that video as i found it, and the other guy in the kitchen ran over to watch it, whilst both the girls in the kitchen immediately started moaning.

But yeah, that noise. Its so beautiful, so primevil. I dont want to listen to formula go karts thanks jean todd.
    Not in my experience, I LOVE the V10 sound, particularly the 2000/2001 Mclaren had a very distinctive exhaust note which was even more piercingly great than normal. Actually my favourite time is when you ride on board and the sound is just perfect, especially when the cars hurtled down the straights on the old Hockenheim. The V8s now are tame in comparison, I dread to think of the V6s, it'll sound more like Formula 3...
    Curiously, even though the V12s of the 80s sound meatier and more 'powerful' than the V10s, they're not quite as satisfying - perhaps because I didn't grow up with the sound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    This has nothing to do with "Helping the environment", it's too attract an audience that think F1 should be more environmentally friendly. A whole race affects pollution rates less than a UK-Australia plane trip.

As for "Death of F1" comment then no, simply no. The cars will not get slower it's just that the extra other power will be gained by kinetic sources. The cars won't sound any different, the scream when they start up will always be there. You must remember there are lots of factors that made them come to this decision. Also with front wings becoming smaller by 2013 we will have the most pure racing ever not dogged by ridiculous reliability issues.

I don't post in this forum since the level of intellect when it comes to F1 is extremely low but people jumping to conclusion just annoys the hell out of me.
    I agree that it won't be the death of F1, and simply an evolution, and that even now with the V8s, the cars are not significantly slowed down by the change from V10s, but the sounds are undeniably different. Yes, the 'scream' of the engines will still be there, but it will be significantly curtailed. It is a shame, but if it means F1 can be sustained commercially and the quality of racing and overtaking (on which aerodynamics and tyres have a far more significant effect) then it is a necessary change.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)

Ahem, definitely not just a male thing!

Nothing better than the sound V10! :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Ahem, definitely not just a male thing!

Nothing better than the sound V10! :sexface:
    Agreed!! I LOVE the V10 sound too...music to my ears, definitely

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. Turbo's spinning up will be nice again.
    • TSR Support Team

There's no such thing as global warming, I hardly think these moves will make a difference to our planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    There's no such thing as global warming, I hardly think these moves will make a difference to our planet.
    Its a small start for the worlds rich and powerful trying to set an example, I always find it so hypocritical when the government tells me I will be fined for not cleaning out my yoghurt pots in the name of environmentalism yet watch any pre-race build up in F1 and its full of government officials all enjoying the spectacle of pointlessly burning oil for racing in a boring procession of cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    You're missing the point, this is not about helping the enviornment, the FIA know it doesn't make a difference they are just trying to appeal to a "Green" audience. Don't forget Formula 1 isn't about the racing anymore in the eyes of the big bosses it's all about the money.

The funny thing is it's a bit of a contradiction since more Middle-east tracks are involved along with the fact they are spread out at different parts of the season means the teams are travelling a lot more than they should have too. I mean Having Bahrain and Abu Dhabi at 2 ends of the season is slightly idiotic. The same with Shanghai and Suzuka/Fuji.

ReputationRep:
    V6's? I heard they were I4's!

The engine regulations should have restricted materials etc, to allow independents like Cosworth to be competitive, but ther should have been a range of cylinders (4 to 8), max displacement and max fuel consumptoion over a race distance. Then we could have anything from V4's to straight 6's or V8's.

Apart from that, the new aero regs should be a good thing - the aim to decrease the average full throtlle time is to find ways to make the cars harder to drive (ie, less able to go at full throttle), which indirectly results in the cars being slowed down. However, thell only speed up again as there wont be an engine freeze (there cant be, it would be ridiculous if there was)

ReputationRep:
    The green argument for F1 is based on engine research and development from straight 4s filtering down to commercial cars. This sounds ridiculous but when you think it that most of the safety devices on your car, such as electronic driving aids and crumple zones filtered down from F1 it is believable. As for what it will do to F1 I think it sucks yes, but it's a damn sight better than a ****ing engine freeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinki2000)
    i think due to global warming may be this cause is efficient
    Twice a month dude....

Even if they were plane engines putting out 50,000pounds of thrusts it would still have no effect on global warming, what crap.....

Twice a month....

ReputationRep:
    It is a big shame that the engines are being tammed by the F1 Organisers however with the new, less powerfull engines comes less rules, such as the abolishment of cutting in the inside line at a certain speed. This may keep suspence and the entertainment in F1.

ReputationRep:
    They'll be changing it to pedal cars next!!:cry: God damn the *******s!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.