Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JSA rant, very angry. Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is bloody ridiclous, my boyfrind can't claim JSA because i earn too much. Seriously i earn £29 over the maximum (which is £120 per week) for him to claim JSA and how can the government expect a couple to survive on one persons part-time wages. If i got sacked we would get more in benefits than twice what i earn now. It's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    This is bloody ridiclous, my boyfrind can't claim JSA because i earn too much. Seriously i earn £29 over the maximum (which is £120 per week) for him to claim JSA and how can the government expect a couple to survive on one persons part-time wages. If i got sacked we would get more in benefits than twice what i earn now. It's crazy!
    This doesn't sound right... can you elaborate? what do you mean he cant because you earn?

ReputationRep:
    How about you tell him to get a f*cking job.

I'm getting neg'd for this? Ok OP I change my mind. Tell him to sit on the doll for as long as he wants, as that is what most people clearly seem to believe. Hope you enjoy my wages.

ReputationRep:
    Because we have a joint tenancy and live together as a couple he is not entitled to any JSA because i earn more than £120 a week. Even if we were just housemates he still wouldn't get the full amount because of what i earn.

Huskaris, If you knew anything about the job situation at the moment, you would know how hard it is to get a job, he is applying right, left and centre and is even getting some interviews but jobs are scarce and if he is not overqualified he is underexperienced.

ReputationRep:
    The JSA system is exceptionally broken. They want you to find a job, but if you try to take a course to help your employability, you'll be kicked off JSA, cause you are only allowed to spend up to 16 hours volunteering/taking courses.

Retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, been in the same situation. Very very annoying. Desperately trying to find a job the summer after I graduated and because I was going back to uni to do a post grad I could only do part time work after the summer, this made it very very hard to find anything (either overqualified or it was clear I wasn't interested in hanging around after my PG). But because I live with my fiancée who works full time I'm not entitled to any JSA. And the job centre wouldn't help me find a job because I could only do part time. Extremely annoying, especially as because there is one student and one non student in the flat we are liable for 75% Council Tax, which we of course get no help paying. >

ReputationRep:
    Because we have a joint tenancy and live together as a couple he is not entitled to any JSA because i earn more than £120 a week. Even if we were just housemates he still wouldn't get the full amount because of what i earn.

Huskaris, If you knew anything about the job situation at the moment, you would know how hard it is to get a job, he is applying right, left and centre and is even getting some interviews but jobs are scarce and if he is not overqualified he is underexperienced.
    I had no idea this was the case! wow... The whole benefit system needs a huge change to help people find jobs... and live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    The JSA system is exceptionally broken. They want you to find a job, but if you try to take a course to help your employability, you'll be kicked off JSA, cause you are only allowed to spend up to 16 hours volunteering/taking courses.

Retarded.
    THIS IS WRONG
    The 16 hour rule has only ever applied to incapacity benefit and NEVER to JSA.
    Even so it was abolished in 2008.
    I would refer you to leaflet DWP 1023 “Volunteering While Receiving Benefits”

A quick google search will prove this. I can't be arsed putting a link but my brother is doing full time work experience and getting JSA. They tried to stop his JSA but he pointed out their own guidance notes and they backed off and continued paying it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my BF was in exactly the same situation when he graduated - I earned too much for him to claim it. When I called up the benefits ppl to enquire what the f*** they expected us to do (he's too nice and just went "oh that's a bit annoying, oh well") it was suggested I look in to working tax credits. Oh except you have to be over 25 to claim them.

Bloody stupid system. Thankfully he has lovely parents who paid his portion of the rent and stuff til he found a job, which thankfully didn't take too long.

ReputationRep:

If you need a job, you will get a job. I needed a job, so I got one. Simple. It depends on how much of a "I won't work doing that/for that amount of money" attitude that you have...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    When I called up the benefits ppl to enquire what the f*** they expected us to do (he's too nice and just went "oh that's a bit annoying, oh well")
    Can I just ask, what were you expecting them to say other than he wasn't entitled to JSA? Your bf sounds like he was polite and understood the rules which is great.

Phoning up and moaning about the rules isn't going to change them. Trust me, asking "what the f*** are we supposed to do" won't get you anywhere. Surprisingly the people on the other end of the phone, as well as jobcentre staff in offices, are unable to change the rules. You can maon till you're blue in the face, all they'll do is repeat the same rules over and over until you stop moaning to them.

ReputationRep:
    Its unfortunate that you're just above the cut off line, but there has to be a line somewhere. Do you think it would be acceptable for someone to claim benefits if they had a partner earning 20K p/a? 50K? 100K? Or do you think the threshold should be just high enough that you get to claim?

If you decide you want to live together and be a unit then you need to work together to get through the tough times too, you'll have to try really hard to make your wage stretch, can you so more hours at work? Can you put in a good word for your partner with your employer next time they're hiring?

I take it your partner hasn't worked much before, if his NI contributions were up to date he'd be able to get contributions based JSA for 6 months. Make sure he goes to sign on even though he won't be getting any money so that his NI gets paid for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    How about you tell him to get a f*cking job.
    Why get a job when he can collect much more money for signing his name once a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caritas)
    Why get a job when he can collect much more money for signing his name once a week?
    that's the crappy thing about the benefits system, there's a tiny step between where the OP is now and saying "allow working when all it's doing is making us poorer than we would be otherwise"

we need incentives dammit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    Can I just ask, what were you expecting them to say other than he wasn't entitled to JSA? Your bf sounds like he was polite and understood the rules which is great.

Phoning up and moaning about the rules isn't going to change them. Trust me, asking "what the f*** are we supposed to do" won't get you anywhere. Surprisingly the people on the other end of the phone, as well as jobcentre staff in offices, are unable to change the rules. You can maon till you're blue in the face, all they'll do is repeat the same rules over and over until you stop moaning to them.
    I called up, because I couldn't believe that 2 people were supposed to live off £600 per month or whatever the cut off was. My thinking was, how do families on benefits actually survive? As it was, I was right, there were other things to claim - housing benefit (didn't go down this route as we didn't have a contract for our house, and think our landlord who was a friend may have wanted it kept under wraps we were staying there), working tax credits had we been 2 years older etc. So actually I was right not to take no as a first answer.

Complaining about the rules can get you somewhere sometimes. I'm back at uni now, and have had a hell of a time proving I'm an independent student to student finance. I kept being told no, you don't have the right evidence, you have worked for 2 months too little etc etc. The people you speak to when you call are very "computer says no". Eventually asked for an email address of someone senior to complain to, sent them an email complaining about my situation and they accepted slightly different evidence, and hey presto! I am assessed as independent and nearly £5k better off for it.

Also to the person who said there has to be a cut off, I agree but actually if OPs OH had worked previously, I think he'd have been able to claim whatever her income was on the other type of JSA, so the argument falls down. Also, I agree there has to be a cut off but £120 per week or whatever is far too low - 2 people CANNOT live off £480 per month, our rent is nearly £700 for a 1 bedroom flat!! The cut off needs to be considerably higher IMO - like £250 per week or something. Or needs differentiating for different parts of the country - perhaps up north 2 people could live off such a small amount, but anywhere close to London and that's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. This is correct. Let's just be lucky we live in a country that actually HAS a relatively good social system with such generous benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Also - Not sure you are correct on your second comment, if you lived primarily off JSA you would get £411 a month. Now you are saying that you earn £596 a month, what other benefits would you be claiming?

ReputationRep:
    This was the same when I lived with my bf and he was on JSA. I got incredibly annoyed, because he had no money & then kept asking me for money- saying it was my fault he couldn't claim, so I should be giving him £50 a week or whatever it was- which I was just NEVER going to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    THIS IS WRONG
    The 16 hour rule has only ever applied to incapacity benefit and NEVER to JSA.
    Even so it was abolished in 2008.
    I would refer you to leaflet DWP 1023 “Volunteering While Receiving Benefits”

A quick google search will prove this. I can't be arsed putting a link but my brother is doing full time work experience and getting JSA. They tried to stop his JSA but he pointed out their own guidance notes and they backed off and continued paying it.
    Well in 2002 I wanted to do a part time uni course for 6 hours a week and they stopped my money claiming that adding study time into the equation I would be unavailable for work for 35 hours a week(wtf!) so I was not part time and would be getting a full time loan etc!

I am currently part time at uni now only 6 hours a week and Jobcentre kept saing it was only allowed because I was doing under 12 hours even thought I didnt get any cash.

(Original post by TravelGuru)
    Also - Not sure you are correct on your second comment, if you lived primarily off JSA you would get £411 a month. Now you are saying that you earn £596 a month, what other benefits would you be claiming?
    Housing benefit can top up money a huge amount but even then they take as much as half or more off if you share accomodation, even if its a 2 bedroom house because its "shared facilities"

The system is hugely broken, some people take huge advantage of it, these are the ones who you hear about having plasma tvs and able to afford luxuries, whereas a big majority of them struggle to make ends meet.

Which was one of the things that hugely annoyed me about the election and now, people talking about if people can afford luxuries on benefits or be better off on benefits than working then the solution is to decrease benefits, when its more that you are badly off on benefits and badly off working

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.