Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does the UK rely on the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    is it to do with things such as trade? what kind of things? Does this link into the ECHR/ HRA?

any advice/ opinions/ help appreciated!
    thanks in ad

ReputationRep:
    We don't rely on the EU - the EU is an institution that costs us £7.3 billion in subscription fee every year. Did you actually mean European countries?

ReputationRep:
    We don't, our main markets are Ireland and the US (ireland, whilst a euro state, was a main market long before the EU), and the common fisheries and agricultural policies have done a lot of damage to our fishing and farming industries.
    At least we didn't join the Euro, as I'm sure if we had we'd currently be in a similar situation to ireland.

ReputationRep:
    War deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    We don't, our main markets are Ireland and the US (ireland, whilst a euro state, was a main market long before the EU), and the common fisheries and agricultural policies have done a lot of damage to our fishing and farming industries.
    At least we didn't join the Euro, as I'm sure if we had we'd currently be in a similar situation to ireland.
    No, I don't believe so.

55% of UK Trade is with the Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some butthurt UKIP members on TSR it seems.

Trade mainly, share policies and pays for a supprisingly large amount of our national parks, buildings etc. Also allows our citizens to travel freely/move freely throughout the EU and visa versa.

I'm not an expert though, but nobody on here is so take both sides of the EU argument with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    What the hell are you on about? Stop making things up!

ReputationRep:
    The EU is a completely separate institution to the ECHR. The former has nothing to do with the formation of the latter, and vice versa. Our EU government has a European Court of Justice - which is the UK's supreme court (even though we have a court called the 'Supreme Court' - it isn't supreme the ECJ is).

The ECHR has a backlog of over 120,000 cases which will take 40+ years to clear. It's an expensive gimmick to employ lawyers on fat salaries rather than a justice system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    No, I don't believe so.

55% of UK Trade is with the Europe.
    According to the Metro, Brown said that 60% of trade is in the EU. If European countries fall over, there is a risk to the UK

ReputationRep:
    Overseas Trade Statistics - Non EU countries (Oct. 2010)

Overseas Trade Statistics - EU Member States
    (Sept. 2010)

Non EU Exports
    October 2010: £10.5 billion.

Non EU Imports
    October 2010: £16.0 billion.

EU Exports
    September 2010: £11.8 billion.

EU Imports
    September 2010: £15.9 billion.

Conclusion: We import about the same amount from EU and non-EU states (the non-EU states include European countries like Norway and Switzerland) but we export slightly more to EU states. The EU is a customs union which means the EU states have external tariffs against many non-EU imports. This should favour British trade to the EU - however, just over 50-60% isn't that much all things considered, which suggests the one-size fits all customs approach doesn't particularly benefit us. The UK might be better off out of the EU making its own trade deals as and when it suits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    Conclusion: We import about the same amount from EU and non-EU states (the non-EU states include European countries like Norway and Switzerland) but we export slightly more to EU states. The EU is a customs union which means the EU states have external tariffs against many non-EU imports. This should favour British trade to the EU - however, just over 50-60% isn't that much all things considered, which suggests the one-size fits all customs approach doesn't particularly benefit us. The UK might be better off out of the EU making its own trade deals as and when it suits.
    Someone could look at those same statistics and just as easily conclude the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Someone could look at those same statistics and just as easily conclude the opposite.
    How could they do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    How could they do that?
    Because his criteria isn't based upon any economic reasoning.

Someone could just as easily say that I believe the 60% of trade with the EU demonstrates that EU customs union is advantageous.

That is all he has essentially said.

I don't even believe UKIP would advocate leaving the Union with negotiating a trade deal so the UK isn't subject to the import tariffs of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Farming subsidies...big, fat, farming subsidies. No one ever mentions them. (Not saying that's the one thing we get from the EU, we get loads, but that's a big thing lots of people miss out.)

ReputationRep:
    What's really turned me in favour of the EU, is I was reading the book of "Story of Stuff "and at the end of each chapter it mentions things that have already been done to help enviromental problems, employee protection etc.

The EU was mentioned repeatedly through out. They've made massive efforts to help protect workers and consumers... without the EU we wouldn't have that layer of protection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    What's really turned me in favour of the EU, is I was reading the book of "Story of Stuff "and at the end of each chapter it mentions things that have already been done to help enviromental problems, employee protection etc.

The EU was mentioned repeatedly through out. They've made massive efforts to help protect workers and consumers... without the EU we wouldn't have that layer of protection.
    and why do you believe that such layers of protection would not occur without the EU?

ReputationRep:
    we rely on the CAP for farmers and tarriffs and stuff. also free movement of goods, services and people

ReputationRep:
    and why do you believe that such layers of protection would not occur without the EU?
    Because clearly, they haven't. The EU has made sure that everyone who is a citizen of a country that is part of it, has protection from big business that their home countries would either not want to pass, or could not pass.

ReputationRep:
    An ally who in order to be taken seriously by, the PM does not need to crawl up the leader's anus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Because clearly, they haven't. The EU has made sure that everyone who is a citizen of a country that is part of it, has protection from big business that their home countries would either not want to pass, or could not pass.
    The EU favours big business, landowners, and industrialists.

EU regulations are hugely complex and expensive and drive small companies out of business. For just one example, businesses must purchase climate credits for their CO2 emissions. Big businesses can do this easily. For small businesses it hurts their ability to grow and challenge the big guns.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.