Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Banning student protests Watch

ReputationRep:
    A head of scotland yard has told the government that the students have abused the right to protest and they should now be banned from protesting. I hope this happens and i hope anyone caught protesting loses there uni place and doesnt get their degree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure David Cameron would like nothing more than to ban the protests. But it would make him so immensely unpopular he will never do it. Unfortunately, if this violence continues it will give the Government exactly the excuse they need to start restricting freedom of speech/expression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    A head of scotland yard has told the government that the students have abused the right to protest and they should now be banned from protesting. I hope this happens and i hope anyone caught protesting loses there uni place and doesnt get their degree.
    And if they go ahead and protest anyway, what will they do? The jails are full. Going to build new ones to lock up political prisoners?

(Original post by twl)
      And if they go ahead and protest anyway, what will they do? The jails are full. Going to build new ones to lock up political prisoners?
      No, but it means that any attempts by students to protest will be futile. And they will know it. So it will deter students from protesting in the first place.

OP: I really hope this happens. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
      I hope for your sake that your penis finally grows so that you can see it without the telescope

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by meatzaper)
      without the telescope
      Don't you mean the microscope?

Sorry for being technical but let's make this factually correct...

ReputationRep:
      I also hope this happens. It would be the straw that breaks Mr Cameron's back. It would inflame the current protests to a whole new level and in doing so, provide the impetus for the NUS to unite with the National Trade Unions and awaken a revolution against the corrupt upper class cronies.

Increasing tuition fees to £9k per year is an assault on the human rights of the working class; snatching away the ladder of social mobility to preserve the riches of the current elite.

And I've already got my degree, so I would like to see them ban me from protesting.

ReputationRep:
      Nice to see the TSR Stalinists are out in force...

ReputationRep:
      Holy ****. What the **** is this? Sure a minority of people have gained the whole media's attention. Let's forget the peaceful protesters. Wait, where are they? Oh yeah, in a kettle for 10 hours without water, food, toilets etc.

And you wonder why they're angry.

ReputationRep:
      Absolutely not. As a free society, everyone has the right to a protest. They do not, however, have the right to smash up crap that isn't theirs or set fires in public places. That is what they should be charged with. Not protesting.

ReputationRep:
      Yes and let's also ban democracy, liberalism, multiculturalism, human rights and other ideas not in the daily mail.

ReputationRep:
      Hold on!

Do you want see the UK become China?

What happened to Freedom of Speech? IS THAT NOT WHAT OUR SOLDIERS ARE FIGHTING FOR IN AFGHANISTAN?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      No. I despise the student protests for so many reasons but if we ban the students whats to say they won't just ban other groups to? before you know it the government bans protesting ut right then starts to cut down on freedom of speech in the name of the public

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Democracy)
      Nice to see the TSR Stalinists are out in force...
      yeah...feels great...democracy say something

ReputationRep:
      And turn this country into a China wannabe? Get arrested for writing political manifestos? What's next?

Edit: woooh, head of Scotland Yard, was he, he must know it all then.

ReputationRep:
      You can't ban protests, what country do you think this is?
      The protests will continue, if they dont work, then it will just get worse and worse for the police and government, the poll tax riots come to mind.
      This isnt the end.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TobeTheHero)
      Hold on!

Do you want see the UK become China?

What happened to Freedom of Speech? IS THAT NOT WHAT OUR SOLDIERS ARE FIGHTING FOR IN AFGHANISTAN?
      No it's not what they are fighting for in Afghanistan, it's what our soldiers fought for in World War 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      No, but it means that any attempts by students to protest will be futile. And they will know it. So it will deter students from protesting in the first place.

OP: I really hope this happens. :congrats:
      And yet you call yourself 'im so academic'. Bit ironic.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tripleeagle)
      Don't you mean the microscope?

Sorry for being technical but let's make this factually correct...
      damn you.... I want to say no... but I'll have to admit that I did mean microscope...

ReputationRep:
      LOL, no seriously, LOL!

If Cameron did that it would just cause more protests that would escalate and become more violent. People tend to get very angry if you try and take away their democratic rights...

Also, I'm fully prepared to go to jail and suffer damage to life or limb to protect these democratic rights so if they banned student protests I would still go on them and others even if it means losing my chance at a degree.

Some things are more important.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.