Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth me hitting the weights if one side of my body is much stronger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My left side is ALOT stronger than my right side following a leg injury I had ages ago( years back). I developed a foot problem(very severe over-pronation off my right foot) and as a consequence lost alot of my leg muscle on that side of my body whilst the other side got stronger as I put more weight on it presumably. My right calf is significantly smaller than my left and I feel as if the problem goes higher up (like upper thigh hip/area)

Don't say go to a physio or any of that because believe me I've tried, and got poor results. Tbh I don't really know how much I can do but I dont have great stability on my right leg, because my foot is so unstable and the bones in my right foot have changed alignment, and today at the gym I tested my strength on the leg press machine and could do far more on my left leg than right. Also on one of the resistance machines for your arms I noticed that again my left side could do more than double my right side could. I just don't know if it's worth me getting a gym membership, if I can't maintain proper technique when doing 'proper' weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    Work on your right side then match it with the left. Eventually it'll even out.

For example;

Pistol squats:
    Right side: 8reps, Left side: 8 reps (same weight).
    Right side: 8reps, Left side: 8 reps (same weight).
    Right side: 5reps, Left side: 5 reps (same weight).

Etc.

Use dumbbells instead of barbells and measure each side with a tape measure every 2 weeks to track progress.
    Yeh basically you need ISOLATION (google it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Yeh basically you need ISOLATION (google it).
    No he needs unilateral movements (ie; lunges, stepups, dumbbell presses, dumbbell rows, etc) not bilateral movements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    No he needs unilateral movements (ie; lunges, stepups, dumbbell presses, dumbbell rows, etc) not bilateral movements.
    Thanks, those exercises look helpful. So I can do all these at home till I get stronger right? I only have a cheap set of YORK weights which are like 8 kg's each side. What weight's should I be looking at really before I even consider hitting the gym? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Thanks, those exercises look helpful. So I can do all these at home till I get stronger right? I only have a cheap set of YORK weights which are like 8 kg's each side. What weight's should I be looking at really before I even consider hitting the gym? Cheers.
    Are you asking how much you should be lifting before going to the gym?

Because if so it doesn't matter, just go, when I first started I was using 5kg dumbbells lol you improve, and you improve fast when you start lifting

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think that the best thing for you is to do press ups etc, since both will improve together although your weaker side will improve faster and will catch up with the stronger side, doing pull ups, press ups etc should do the job, it's what my brother used when he had the same problem as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Thanks, those exercises look helpful. So I can do all these at home till I get stronger right?
    There's nothing stopping you.

I only have a cheap set of YORK weights which are like 8 kg's each side. What weight's should I be looking at really before I even consider hitting the gym?
    If you need to start out with your body weight and once you can comfortably do 3x20 on each leg with minimal rest (ie; 1-2 mins) then start adding weight. When you decide to go to the gym is entirely up to you but if all you're going to do is **** around on weights machines or cardio machines your time would be better spent at home progressively adding weight to your dumbbell overhead press, row, lunge, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brecon)
    I honestly think that the best thing for you is to do press ups etc, since both will improve together although your weaker side will improve faster and will catch up with the stronger side, doing pull ups, press ups etc should do the job, it's what my brother used when he had the same problem as you.
    Yeh I've been doing them which I think definately helps, but I guess it's more of leg and lat problem. My walking/running gait is so screwed up. My stride on my right leg is alot longer, and I think my hip kinda swings over or something.

Also I'm pretty skinny so press-ups are pretty easy lol. I don't really care about how much I can bench tbh, more interested in doing squats and deadlifts because I think leg strength is more important and especially for me with my problem side atm.

edit: But I need to do unilateral movements innit, because if i do press ups I will just favour my stronger side, making the situation worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    There's nothing stopping you.

If you need to start out with your body weight and once you can comfortably do 3x20 on each leg with minimal rest (ie; 1-2 mins) then start adding weight. When you decide to go to the gym is entirely up to you but if all you're going to do is **** around on weights machines or cardio machines your time would be better spent at home progressively adding weight to your dumbbell overhead press, row, lunge, etc.
    Okay. Did you see me at the gym yesterday or something?:ninja:

I went on an ergo for 4 mins flat-out highest setting(wasn't even tired tbh,don't know if i should have been) then I went on the leg press machine to test out my leg strength, surprise surprise left side was stronger than right. Then I headed over to one of the bikes. After remembering I had to start cycling b4 It actually starts I couldn't figure out how to increase the freaking resistance so I was peddling for god knows how long prodding every button that was blinking at me, changing every possible setting there was, all whilst being watched by two absolute meat-heads behind me who were benching probably the same weight as me plus the bike I was 'peddling' on. HAPPY DAYS!

ReputationRep:
    Look at going running, and if you have any big steps or anything near you try running up and down them and if possible try to lead with your weak leg constantly, it will feel strange but it will build that leg's muscles super quickly compared to the other, plus it's great cardio!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.