Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is one module that is part of my course which is 50% coursework and 50% exam, like a lot of modules at my university. A pass in both elements is required to pass the module. It is worth 15 credit points and is one out of the 8 modules for my 2nd year of university.

What is very very wrong about this module is that the coursework component is one 45 min, 20 multiple choice class test!! So basically its carries more weight than the dreaded exam in jan which is full of complicated problems and defo is not multiple choice!!! The test was not in full exam conditions either!!! we were crammed into one small classroom and anybody could have looked at the test paper nxt to them(tho i didnt)

so it seems very very wrong that one question on this class test is worth 5% of one module and ticking A/b/c/d will get you that.

In another module worth the same amount of credit points, i have an assignment that will take me hours to complete for 5% of it and theres at least 6 of those to do! In another mod, a class test is worth only 20% of the module and has 40 questions, only half of which are multiple choice!!

So i think the module heads are being lazy and cant even be bothered to asses us properly cos its possible for somebody to succeed through look or for somebody who's having an off day to ruin the whole module!!(like me). last year the same professor ran a similar module and each test then was only worth 25% and had 30 questions on!!

So you can see where i am getting at with this. unfortunately i only got 7 out of 20, as i was ill round the time of the test. In any other situation ill be able to make up for it in the exam or another piece of coursework. But i cant because that 45 min multiple choice test was the entire coursework component. and i was only one tick box away from passing!! 5% off! So even if i pass the exam with 100%, i still have to do a coursework retake in the summer!! and best grade i can get for that module is a pass!!!

What can i do about this because it all seems wrong, the way this module is run!!!

ReputationRep:
    That's the way it is, you can't change it. :dontknow:

(Original post by Crazy Paving)
      That's the way it is, you can't change it. :dontknow:
      you can complain to your course's student reps and then they may come up with suggestions that might be incorporated into the course for later years, :fyi:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      you can complain to your course's student reps and then they may come up with suggestions that might be incorporated into the course for later years, :fyi:
      Who can actually be bothered to do that? :rolleyes: Apart from people with nothing better to do, of course :pierre:

Also, that doesn't help them at their time. Who gives a **** about future years? :wtf:

ReputationRep:
      yeh but there must be something i can do. esp as one of the sabbs at my uni in the last few mins agreed that that is wrong.

If i was facing my final year exams, worth more than half the entire degree, tomora and it was all based on luck and multiple choice and only 20 questions.

The last thing ill think is "oh that is just the way it is"

besides a friend of mine had an unfairly assessed module on his course changed. became a bit of an enemy of the proffs now.

(Original post by Crazy Paving)
        Who can actually be bothered to do that? :rolleyes: Apart from people with nothing better to do, of course :pierre:

Also, that doesn't help them at their time. Who gives a **** about future years? :wtf:
        The CAD part of a module I'm doing has been greatly improved as a direct result of previous complaints.

And we have water fountains now :king1:

Democracy 1 - 0 Apathy

:tong:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by + polarity -)
        The CAD part of a module I'm doing has been greatly improved as a direct result of previous complaints.

And we have water fountains now :king1:

Democracy 1 - 0 Apathy

:tong:
        Only because they knew you'd be coming along, so wanted to stop your constant complaining. :rolleyes:

LOL, I've not used one of those since primary school. :closedeyes:

:mfing:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.