Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pros and Cons of Drink (by the experts) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello New People to this group

Source :- http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SC/00024.html (thanks Halfofllessthan50p!)

For every article you read about the benefits of alcohol consumption, another seems to warn you of its risks. You might find such conflicting information confusing and frustrating.

Though moderate alcohol use seems to have some health benefits, anything more than moderate drinking can negate any potential benefits. Moderate drinking is defined as two drinks a day if you're a male under 65, or one drink a day if you're a female or a male over 65.

So should you avoid alcohol? Or can you continue to enjoy your glass of wine with dinner? It's up to you and your doctor. Here are some points on alcohol consumption for you to consider.

Health benefits

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

Reduce your risk of developing heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and intermittent claudication
    Reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack
    Possibly reduce your risk of strokes, particularly ischemic strokes
    Lower your risk of gallstones
    Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes

Health risks

Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious health problems, including:

Cancer of the pancreas, mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver, as well as breast cancer
    Pancreatitis, especially in people with high levels of triglycerides in their blood
    Sudden death in people with cardiovascular disease
    Heart muscle damage (alcoholic cardiomyopathy) leading to heart failure
    Stroke
    Brain atrophy (shrinkage)
    Cirrhosis of the liver
    Miscarriage
    Fetal alcohol syndrome in an unborn child, including impaired growth and nervous system development
    Injuries due to impaired motor skills
    Suicide

What counts as a drink?

A drink is defined as 12 ounces (oz.) of beer, 5 oz. of wine or 1.5 oz. of 80-proof distilled spirits. Again, keep in mind that people age 65 and older shouldn't drink more than one drink a day. With increasing age, adults break down alcohol more slowly, leading them to become intoxicated more quickly and increasing alcohol's damaging effects.

Who shouldn't drink alcohol?

People with certain health conditions shouldn't drink any alcohol, as even small amounts could cause problems. Don't drink alcohol if you have:

A history of a hemorrhagic stroke
    Liver disease
    Pancreatic disease
    Evidence of precancerous changes in the esophagus, larynx, pharynx or mouth
    If you have a family history of alcoholism, be particularly cautious when it comes to drinking, as you are at higher risk of alcoholism. And if you're pregnant, avoid alcohol entirely because of the health risks for your unborn baby.

In addition, alcohol interacts with many common prescription and over-the-counter medications. Check with your doctor, if you take:

Antibiotics
    Anticoagulants
    Antidepressants
    Diabetes medications
    Antihistamines
    Anti-seizure medications
    Beta blockers
    Pain relievers
    Sleeping pills
    If you combine alcohol with aspirin, you face an increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. And if you use alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), you increase your risk of liver damage. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration requires all over-the-counter pain relievers and fever reducers to carry a warning label advising those who consume three or more drinks a day to consult with their doctors before using the drug.

What to make of all the evidence

Weigh the pros against the cons of moderate drinking and decide whether drinking is OK for you. Be sure to consult your doctor if you have questions or are unsure.

Above all, don't feel pressured to drink. Few medical experts, if any, advise nondrinkers to start drinking. But if you do drink and you're healthy, there's no need to stop as long as you drink responsibly and in moderation.

Why the neg rep? CNN think this... not me especially (I just wanted an official source, as I am not really an expert)

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is an action, not a health condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Its both due to the mentality as well!

ReputationRep:
    All along I thought the point of drinking was to get pissed and now I find its good for you too.

Hell, Im going to have to do it more

ReputationRep:
    quote your sources please: http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/SC/00024.html

ReputationRep:
    the only risks to health are liver damage and choking on your own sick while you sleep because you're completely wasted.

ReputationRep:
    So I've been right all along and not paranoid, there is an argument for not drinking if you have a history of alcoholism in the family..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mNewHere)
    All along I thought the point of drinking was to get pissed and now I find its good for you too.

Hell, Im going to have to do it more
    LOL. The post said in moderation (like red wine) is good for you to an extent .... binging is not drinking in moderation .... nice try though!

ReputationRep:
    So suicide as a result of drinking does not post a risk to one's health...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAZZA007)

Cancer of the pancreas, mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver, as well as breast cancer
    Pancreatitis, especially in people with high levels of triglycerides in their blood
    Stroke
    Cirrhosis of the liver
    Miscarriage
    Fetal alcohol syndrome in an unborn child, including impaired growth and nervous system development
    Suicide
    lol what? Well I wonder how thats treated then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    So suicide as a result of drinking does not post a risk to one's health...?
    Of course it does, but it's not a health condition. You can't be diagnosed with having a bad case of suicide.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Pros: Yes
    Cons: No

ReputationRep:
    Con: if you have to drink to have fun you are a boring git. Sort your life out and become more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renlok)
    lol what? Well I wonder how thats treated then?
    By anti-depressant medication, that is if you do visit a Dr.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does, but it's not a health condition. You can't be diagnosed with having a bad case of suicide.

:facepalm2:
    It doesn't say 'condition'... it says 'risks' and 'health problems'.

No need to be pedantic unless absolutely necessary.

Health risks

Stroke
    Cirrhosis of the liver
    Miscarriage
    Suicide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    It doesn't say 'condition'... it says 'risks' and 'health problems'.

No need to be pedantic unless absolutely necessary.
    I'm pretty sure the OP has been edited... If I did mis-read it, fair enough then. But I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the OP has been edited... If I did mis-read it, fair enough then. But I don't think so.
    It's all good fun.

ReputationRep:
    By anti-depressant medication, that is if you do visit a Dr.
    ...I was being sarcastic suicide isn't a medical condition... and you cant cure it.

Obviously that didnt come across

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for neg repping you all, really I am sorry, but my 2 neg reps for my thread starter post were unnessesary because it came from a website-NOT ME!!!!

Why the neg rep???? U mad???

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for neg repping you all, really I am sorry, but my 2 neg reps for my thread starter post were unnessesary because it came from a website-NOT ME!!!!

Why the neg rep???? U mad???
    Are you Muslim by any chance? I feel they usually are the most vocal about the cons of alcohol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.