Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to be a primary school teacher- i cant get work experience in a school Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so some universities seem to want work experience in a school. Which most schools wont accept new volunteers because people applied to volunteer since summer as well as needing to do a six week crb check, which gives me no time for the ucas application.

Anywho Ive taught/volunteered abroad in Morocco arabic children english, as well for a summer school for spanish students in exeter and bought tickets to go to mexico this summer and volunteer.

Anyone know if this is really a necessary strict requirement?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    yes, there are thousands of people who suddenly are attracted to teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    yes, there are thousands of people who suddenly are attracted to teaching.
    so your answer is yes. I need experience?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    Yeah so some universities seem to want work experience in a school. Which most schools wont accept new volunteers because people applied to volunteer since summer as well as needing to do a six week crb check, which gives me no time for the ucas application.

Anywho Ive taught/volunteered abroad in Morocco arabic children english, as well for a summer school for spanish students in exeter and bought tickets to go to mexico this summer and volunteer.

Anyone know if this is really a necessary strict requirement?

cheers
    May be a silly question, but could you not use that as experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    May be a silly question, but could you not use that as experience?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to do that. First of all it should be classed as experience although not neccessarily english school experience and I will try to word it in the right way so it sounds good lol.

ReputationRep:
    Are you under 18? Have you tried asking various schools for experience? If you explain you're a student hoping to apply to Uni and just looking for some voluntary work then you may be able to get some experience without the need of a CRB, particularly if you're under the age of 18! I'm currently doing work experience in a primary school and wasn't required to have a CRB check when I first joined, I've been here since September 2009 now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Talk about the experience that you do have and write that you're planning on doing some experience in the new year - it better than nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to do that. First of all it should be classed as experience although not neccessarily english school experience and I will try to word it in the right way so it sounds good lol.
    You generally need some (2 weeks) school based experience in the UK to show that you actually have an awareness of the job you're getting into as teaching Spanish/Moroccan kids is not the same as being a primary teacher in the UK, as the teaching there is without all of the curriculum, assessment and general work load that goes with being a teacher.

You should try and arrange experience for 2011 in schools in the UK which you can discuss on your PS and it will give you something to discuss at interview. In the interview they will be primarily interested in your experience in schools in the UK in relation to what you understand as the roles of the teacher and also in terms of educational issues generally. Without school based experience, you can't do this and how do you even know that you want to be a teacher anyway? Try and organise experience in a school for the new year for hopefully before your interviews, then you've got enough time to get the CRB check sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    Talking to one of the Manchester uni education tutors yesterday.
    Admissions criteria there are now a minimum 2.1 degree and school experience is essential.

ReputationRep:
    Im not applying for a pgce, just primary education course, I will phone up every primary school I can think of and get a crb check as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, isn't it too late to apply for the Primary PGCE now for this year????

You need to tell the schools that you are wishing to visit as a visitor to observe lessons, and will not be alone with a child at anytime.
    I observed in 3 different schools in September, and a Primary school in July.. None of them needed a CRB (although I do have one, but they didn't know that).

If you are wanting to apply NEXT year, then start volunteering now with a youth club/rainbows/brownies/scouts... they will run a free CRB for you, and you will get further experience of supervising that age range!

I sent a letter to local schools saying ,

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I am writing to express my desire in partaking in an observation session of some of your school’s English lessons for the purposes of pursuing my PGCE. Having obtained a First Class degree in English Literature and Creative Writing, followed by a Masters degree in Contemporary American Fiction, I am now keen to share my passion of the literary world with the next generation of learners.

I will be applying for my PGCE this September and seek to gain first hand experience and awareness of the classroom environment in preparation for the course. It would be a great enhancement to my knowledge and understanding of education if you were to permit me to observe a class at any level.

I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further. I have work, academic and personal references available on request.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXXXXX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaime1986)
    Erm, isn't it too late to apply for the Primary PGCE now for this year????

You need to tell the schools that you are wishing to visit as a visitor to observe lessons, and will not be alone with a child at anytime.
    I observed in 3 different schools in September, and a Primary school in July.. None of them needed a CRB (although I do have one, but they didn't know that).

If you are wanting to apply NEXT year, then start volunteering now with a youth club/rainbows/brownies/scouts... they will run a free CRB for you, and you will get further experience of supervising that age range!

I sent a letter to local schools saying ,

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I am writing to express my desire in partaking in an observation session of some of your school’s English lessons for the purposes of pursuing my PGCE. Having obtained a First Class degree in English Literature and Creative Writing, followed by a Masters degree in Contemporary American Fiction, I am now keen to share my passion of the literary world with the next generation of learners.

I will be applying for my PGCE this September and seek to gain first hand experience and awareness of the classroom environment in preparation for the course. It would be a great enhancement to my knowledge and understanding of education if you were to permit me to observe a class at any level.

I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further. I have work, academic and personal references available on request.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXXXXX
    Many thanks for that, I will do that. However its not a PGCE, a primary education course lasts for four years and is an undergraduate course, a pgce last for one year is intensive and is usually taken after a degree. Nevertheless I really need experience lol.

ReputationRep:
    O right, well in that case just change the letter accordingly. I would definately send a letter, and Save it (!), then if you have no response to the letter forward the letter as an email, stating that you are chasing up the letter you sent.

You definately don't need a CRB for observations!..So make it clear this is all that you wish to do for a few days, eg I spent 4 days in one school, 5 in another and 2 in another, then 1 in a primary.
    Then, as I a said above, get some interactive experience with children of Primary age through volunteering with a local agency, they will be very grateful for the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.