Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nick Clegg walks into a bookstore and asks if they have a book on coalitions. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg walks into a bookstore and asks if they have a book on coalitions. The storekeeper says, "It's over there on the left.... sorry, I mean the right.... No! I tell a lie. I've sold out"

am i being really dim lol!!
    please could someone explain this to me as i really don't get it!
    i think i'm just having a blonde day today haha!
    many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panzy)
    Nick Clegg walks into a bookstore and asks if they have a book on coalitions. The storekeeper says, "It's over there on the left.... sorry, I mean the right.... No! I tell a lie. I've sold out"

am i being really dim lol!!
    please could someone explain this to me as i really don't get it!
    i think i'm just having a blonde day today haha!
    many thanks
    That is sooo freakin geeky and i'm ashamed i got it, haha!

left (left wing), right (right wing), lie (mocking clegg for being a liar)
    sold out (i lied to the electorate and sold out by not honouring my manifesto pledges)

blondes are hot

ReputationRep:
    Basically the lib dems are generally centre-left but many think the rise in tuiton fees is a right-wing policy and that Nick Clegg and the lib dems have sold out by joining forces with the Tories. The lie refers to the promise that the lib dems made that they would oppose a rise in tuition fees, which they haven't.

EDIT: Although actually, surely it would make more sense if it was Nick Clegg that owned the bookshop and was speaking?

ReputationRep:
    I think the author of the joke incorporated the idea that Nick Clegg doesn't know where the LibDems are on the political spectrum or that he's confused about whether to make a coalition deal with Labour or the Conservatives (hence being not too sure whether on the left or the right), as well as adding the idea that he says something (that the book is there) before saying that he was actually lying - similar to the belief that Clegg lied about Tuition Fees...

Not too sure though. I might have missed the point entirely!

- - - - -

EDIT:

(Original post by blue_shift86)
    sold out (i lied to the electorate and sold out by not honouring my manifesto pledges
    Damn I'm so thick I missed that! I'll blame it on being tired...

ReputationRep:
    Why did Nick Clegg cross the road?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Because he said he wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    I've read this joke 4 times in 4 different places.

ReputationRep:
    haha nice one ^
    thank you people!

ReputationRep:
    You're not this guy are you? (tim nice but dim):

ReputationRep:
    A man rings up the Lib-dem phoneline or whatever and asks
    Man - "Could I have some manifesto's?"
    Lib-dem - "Sorry we've sold out"
    Man - "Yes, I know that, but i'd like some manifesto's"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    That is sooo freakin geeky and i'm ashamed i got it, haha!
    YEP! :fluffy: Sure is niche humour!

If he came into the bookstore I worked in I'd probably tell him it'd be tricky to find a book without a title or author but he should have a look in our politics section. That's upstairs on the right-hand side in the second bay along. If he couldn't find anything then I might take him back to the desk, look on Google, see what I can find and tell him I could order it in. It's getting a bit late to guarantee it for Christmas though. :sad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Liam 09)
      A man rings up the Lib-dem phoneline or whatever and asks
      Man - "Could I have some manifesto's?"
      Lib-dem - "Sorry we've sold out"
      Man - "Yes, I know that, but i'd like some manifesto's"
      xD nice one

made me laugh, that's an original joke right

ReputationRep:
      The first two words were a good enough joke for me.

ReputationRep:
      Made me lol

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.