Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Just looking for general advice from anyone who can help!

I'm a mature student at Leeds Uni doing an MSc. Originally from Glasgow so am renting a room down here. And that's the problem...

I was lucky enough to get a decent place at a low price so was pretty pleased initially. I'm sharing with two other people - a guy doing his PGCE and a French girl who's working as a language Assistant for a year. Whilst I get on well with the guy who's about my age and is pretty decent I'm having some issues with the girl (who is much younger than me).

The guy I'm sharing with is orginally from France so can speak fluent French and gets on very well with the girl. Beacuse of this the girl pretty much refuses to speak English in the house, even though she's fluent which makes things very difficult for me as I can't speak a word! She has loads of friends around who are also French and refuse to speak english.

As you can imagine this leaves me feeling pretty left out, depressed and angry. I've tried speaking to her about it and she's says she will try to speak more english but as far as i can see she hasn't tried - we now hardly speak to each other at all.

So the queston is if being left out is leaving me so depressed should I give up and move out? I probably would have done this already but everything else about the house is great and I don't really want to leave unless I have to!

Any advice on how to deal with the situation? TBH all I wanted was a nice house with decent flat mates..but I guess everyone else wants that too!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    If you're unhappy and you're not stuck in a contract or anything I'd move out, its not good for you to live in such a negative environment, especially when you're trying to study!
    Plus there's tons and tons of housing in Leeds, there's more 'student' houses than there are students apparently, so you shouldn't have a problem finding somewhere else to live - hopefully somewhere with decent flat mates!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.