Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Green Party offering free membership to under 30s on back of protests Watch

ReputationRep:
    This has been jumping about on Twitter, but the Greens are the first national party I've spotted that has targetted students in this way. Individual Labour branches and campaigners are signing people up at significantly reduced rates (I won't link to the parties - search engines will take you there as I seek to guard my neutrality).

Have you spotted other political parties approaching you on the back of the fees protests? What's your take? Opportunistic or principled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Have you spotted other political parties approaching you on the back of the fees protests? What's your take? Opportunistic or principled?
    It seems like the Trotskyist parties view protests as an opportunity to flog their newspapers and get members.

Yes, opportunistic sums it up quite well. I don't think the legitimate anti-cuts movement should be factionalised along the lines of party politics.

ReputationRep:
    yeah nobody wants to join their crumby party so they have to give it away for free. VOTE LABOUR!

ReputationRep:
    Free membership. Whey not eh? might get a few organic freebies....

...just joined. They gave me **** all. fml.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, might join them as well as the Monster Raving Looney Party.

ReputationRep:
    Green party, who want a "maximum wage" in addition to a significantly increased minimum wage, as well as massive list of products and services be free for everyone. They're nutters who have no understanding of the most basic economic concepts.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you ask them about their £45bn green 'investment' plan!

ReputationRep:
    Opportunistic or principled?
    Wouldnt join them even if they PAID me!

Must be harmfull to their yearly budget though, i would imagine that at least half of the green parties membership is under 30.

And they arent really the first to do this, the mainstream parties offer student memberships at really low prices - my tory membership is only a fiver a year which is hardly outragous.

ReputationRep:
    when i start wearing sandals and eating muesli day and night ill join the green party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnHuman)
    Green party, who want a "maximum wage" in addition to a significantly increased minimum wage, as well as massive list of products and services be free for everyone. They're nutters who have no understanding of the most basic economic concepts.
    Nor do you by the look of your sig.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Shame the Green party is a joke

ReputationRep:
    Green Party are in league with the banksters parcelling up our very air through the Emissions Trading Scheme (carbon credits) and passing the cost on to the taxpayer through our electricity bills - killing pensioners and further impoverishing students who can't afford expensive electricity.

I bet loads will sign up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volts)
    Nor do you by the look of your sig.
    FEELIN' DA BURN.

Have you seen Caroline Lucas' responses when challenged?

Price floors in the labour market, especially at the level they're proposing, makes the cost of a lot of lower-end employee's labour more than its value to the employer. They're cooking a recipe for unemployment, not 'equality' or prosperity.

This has been jumping about on Twitter, but the Greens are the first national party I've spotted that has targetted students in this way. Individual Labour branches and campaigners are signing people up at significantly reduced rates (I won't link to the parties - search engines will take you there as I seek to guard my neutrality).
      Doing as you suggested, and facilitating a seach engine, I discovered this which contradicts your claim.

The [Labour] party has reported a sharp rise since the Con-Lib coalition was formed – while the Conservatives have lost 81,000 members since David Cameron became leader, in 2005.

A Labour Party spokesman said: “Since the election, over 39,000 people from all regions of the country and all backgrounds have joined the Labour Party.

“Labour’s thriving membership is a contrast with the recent dramatic fall in Tory membership. Source: northernecho.co.uk
      How many ministers do the Green Party have in Parliament? One? I doubt whether 'waverers' would be convinced to support any other wildnerness party now that they have been betrayed by the Lib Dems...and besides, it stinks of opportunism on the part of the Green Party.

ReputationRep:
      Are there no decent parties out there?

(Original post by BambieWambie)
        Are there no decent parties out there?
        I believe that the ramifications of the present style of government has brought us onto a very steep learning curve which we are all rapidly ascending...and at the top of that curve is the realisation that no government represents a 'decent' party because power very quckly corrupts.

ReputationRep:
        This.

The £2.9 billion the Government will save by increasing tuition fees matches the amount earmarked for a new Green aid project.

Thanks a bunch for supporting us, Green Party!

Seems this is a time for offering hands of help and reconciliation all around.

John Denham [Shadow Business Secretary] on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC this morning:

Labour will "reach out" to Lib Dem MPs and supporters unhappy with the coalition and its policy on things like tuition fees, Shadow Business Secretary John Denham has said.
          See what I meant in post #16 about all parties being tarred with the same brush?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by yawn)
          I believe that the ramifications of the present style of government has brought us onto a very steep learning curve which we are all rapidly ascending...and at the top of that curve is the realisation that no government represents a 'decent' party because power very quckly corrupts.
          Agreed.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by yawn)
          Plus the very simple fact that no party can make everybody happy. Each policy will have both support and opposition, depending on the interests of the individual.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.