Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do animals learn in instrumental conditioning experiments?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a recycled question on here but stilll...I'm kinda of stuck. Above is my essay title and so far I have written about Thorndike's puzzle box, Law of Effect and Skinner's pigeons and rats. This covers 500 words of a 1000 word essay and I really don't know what else to include!? Help would be muchhhh appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    That's a really strange essay question. I think I've seen it on TSR before as you've said.

It's kind of like asking what colour the CERN super-collider is. It's not really about the physics.

Can you tell us a little more about what you are expected to write about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    That's a really strange essay question. I think I've seen it on TSR before as you've said.

It's kind of like asking what colour the CERN super-collider is. It's not really about the physics.

Can you tell us a little more about what you are expected to write about?
    We've not been told to write about anything. We had a lecture and only 3 of the slides included instrumental conditioning (basically saying it was also known as operant conditioning and talking about Thorndike's law of effect). I have then added in work by Skinner but I really don't know what else to add. There must be lots to write about but I feel I am waffling just to get my word count up. Do you have any idea of a basic plan of what I could write about??

ReputationRep:
    I guess I could add in the study on avoidance conditioning on the dogs in the 'shuttle box' jumping over a barrier to avoid electric shocks but I don't know if this is relevant..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magb123)
    We've not been told to write about anything. We had a lecture and only 3 of the slides included instrumental conditioning (basically saying it was also known as operant conditioning and talking about Thorndike's law of effect). I have then added in work by Skinner but I really don't know what else to add. There must be lots to write about but I feel I am waffling just to get my word count up. Do you have any idea of a basic plan of what I could write about??
    I suppose if you want more to talk about you could mention Markov chains in rat maze navigation.

It's an odd question because ultimately, what rats learn in conditioning is typically arbitrary and the product of convenience. It seems strange to set an essay which does not direct you towards the implications of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.