Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on travelling to and around Australia for a year next year ..

I just wondered if anybody has any backpack recommendations?

I've had a look on a few sites such as Gap Year Travel Store, but I want a backpack that's going to last me and be useful for my trip!

Many thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The best backpack is one that someone else is carrying.
    Sorry not helpful...

ReputationRep:
    Berghaus Jalan, So Comfy

Or

North Face Double trak

Or

Deuter Aircontact pro

All Really Comfy Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Go to an outdoor store and have a look at different sizes/styles/makes. I don't personally think there's such a thing as a 'best' backpack, it's pretty subjective. For example, I've got a small, non-popular brand one (35l) that I've used for all my trips in the last few years (RTW, short/long haul etc) while quite a few other RTW travellers I met were using big name-big bags (like Berghaus 65ls ones for example). I think it would be a bad idea just to order one off the internet without actually seeing it/putting it on.....it's going to be an companion for you for a while so it's pretty important to get it right!

ReputationRep:
    Turn up at a big camping/outdoors shop and tell the assistant your looking for a rucksack for Australia - they're really helpful. When I went (did a world challenge trip to Mongolia in 2008) they went straight for one that fit great + fitted the back it for me (still haven't figured out how to do that myself). You definately want some pockets on the outside, a waterproff cover and a padded back + straps too. You also want one that is fairly light (and are you looking for a main or a day sack?).

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the trip, i either take my 35L LifeVenture carry-on (plus $1 shoulder bag) or my 55L Lowe Alpine (plus whaever random cheap daysac i have laying around on the day of departure).

Unless you anticipate doing a LOT of trekking, any 45-55L bag that is even halfway comfortable by any brand will do the trick. Despite what salespeople (and preconceptions) will tell you, it'll make almost f-all difference to your experience. Don't waste money on it. Most RTW trips could be done with a bin bag.

Obviously people have positive experiences, but most outdoors store staff are there because they are willing to work for minimum wage, not because of their intimate knowledge of outdoors gear or years of experience in travel and wilderness pursuits. Combine that with the commission incentive and you can have a fun afternoon pushing them into sales banter that you honestly couldn't make up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.