Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me pls who did edxcel core science last year how many marks you can loose and stilll get an A*.

I've got 4A* which are all 40/40 and 2As which were 34 and 35 out of 40. I've just done all my IAAs last week.

My teacher has maked the first one which I got an A in with 30/36. I'm told that the marks put together are out of 400 but it doesn't add up even when my teacher gives me the other 40 marks for the practical skills?

The external exams are worth 60%.The 3 IAAs are meant to be woth 10% each and 10% of 400 is 40 yet they are out of 36

My teacher keeps telling me I will safely get an A* but in most subjects you always need over 90% for an A*

If the exam marks add up to 400 then it means I have to get over 360 marks. It's not impossibe because I've already got 259 marks but it's worring me.

Sorry I wrote so much but pls help I want the numbers to add up!

ReputationRep:
    They're converted into UMS - the 40/40 is already converted into UMS. You're on 229/240 (just the externals). The IAAs are fine, when they get converted it should be higher than the 30 you got atm. The remaining 10% you will get from the teacher who marks you from the practical skills and with your IAAs, you probably will get a good mark from your teacher anyway. Can't see why that won't be an A*, well done on your full marks btw!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    To get an A* you need 360/400

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunday=)
    Can anyone tell me pls who did edxcel core science last year how many marks you can loose and stilll get an A*.

I've got 4A* which are all 40/40 and 2As which were 34 and 35 out of 40. I've just done all my IAAs last week.

My teacher has maked the first one which I got an A in with 30/36. I'm told that the marks put together are out of 400 but it doesn't add up even when my teacher gives me the other 40 marks for the practical skills?

The external exams are worth 60%.The 3 IAAs are meant to be woth 10% each and 10% of 400 is 40 yet they are out of 36

My teacher keeps telling me I will safely get an A* but in most subjects you always need over 90% for an A*

If the exam marks add up to 400 then it means I have to get over 360 marks. It's not impossibe because I've already got 259 marks but it's worring me.

Sorry I wrote so much but pls help I want the numbers to add up!
    You will do fine. I got 5A*s and 1A(first physics module, damn you!) for external exams.

I then got ABB, roughly 28/36 average, which is not even an A, for my IAAs, but they were quite hard papers so the grade bounderies were ridiculously low.

That totals up to 5A*s and 2As and 2Bs and I got an A* for core science, I ended up getting 366/400, you obviously seem more intelligent than I was in year 10 so will get an A*, hands down.

ReputationRep:
    That's what's bothering me - you need over 360 marks to get an A*! I will be so happy if I get 366, apparantily they reajust the IAAs so that the marks are out of 40.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.