Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is it in anyway fair that a girl in my class (who had just passed her test the day previously so wouldn't have either had her full licence for long at all) and is 17 so got quoted £1700 on car insurance but when I went and got a quote on the very same company, i got quoted £5000 even with 1NCB and had my licence for a year!

I get that i may have a newer car (She had a P reg corsa whilst mine is 51 reg clio) but that in no way justifies this, its sex discrimination really, why should small percentage of boy racers ruin it for everyone else?

IMO, insurance companies have gone OTT on prices yet know that young drivers are ready to pay extortionate prices anyway

Unfortunately we live in a country where everything motor related is just ridiculously overpriced from petrol prices to garage labour to car insurance.

Rant over

ReputationRep:
    Car insurance is sexist.

ReputationRep:
    Was it the same type of car?

Also, teenage boys are far more likely to crash a car than teenage girls, so the prices will be different. Not necessarily fair, but then life rarely is.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair? So what's your solution, charge everyone the same price regardless of the actual risk of them causing an accident?

You should be able to get it down to around £2000-£2500 anyway, £5000 is excessive.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I pay less than £350 for m Corsa with 1 year no claims. Was under £400 with none.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the few places that the law allows for sex discrimination as young males have been shown to be more likely to have serious accidents.

ReputationRep:
    Well let's look at the facts. It's definately not that women are better drivers. It's a fact that femals especially younger ones get in many more accidents that males. However the type of accident a girl gets in, is usually no worse than a bump. At least there is hardly any injuries. Whereas when young men get in accidents, although less frequent than females, it usually results in some sort of injury or death. So for a insurers point of view, it's easier to pay for a broken bumper then a broken neck or the death of a person(s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Well let's look at the facts. It's definately not that women are better drivers. It's a fact that femals especially younger ones get in many more accidents that males. However the type of accident a girl gets in, is usually no worse than a bump. At least there is hardly any injuries. Whereas when young men get in accidents, although less frequent than females, it usually results in some sort of injury or death. So for a insurers point of view, it's easier to pay for a broken bumper then a broken neck or the death of a person(s).
    I get what your saying I just still can't see why so many should be 'punished' for the few that get into accidents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's not fair? So what's your solution, charge everyone the same price regardless of the actual risk of them causing an accident?

You should be able to get it down to around £2000-£2500 anyway, £5000 is excessive.
    I was clearly not saying that. I mean a car insurance price should be based on an individual's merits/faults with regards to their driving and not because of what they were born into such as NCB, pass plus, etc. I can understand the age issue as older people tend to be a lot more cautious (some may argue too cautious) but when 2 people of the same age are quoted differently so radically, theres clearly something wrong.

Statistically, Asians are more likely to be involved in accidents that whites but if they were to be quoted higher, they would be an outcry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I pay less than £350 for m Corsa with 1 year no claims. Was under £400 with none.
    How old are you if you dont mind me asking and with what insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cina182003)
    I was clearly not saying that.
    Yeah, you were just stating something you consider to be a problem without suggesting an improvement or alternative.

I mean a car insurance price should be based on an individual's merits/faults with regards to their driving
    So what about people who just turned 17? No merits, no faults. What do you base it on? And how exactly do you measure these faults anyway? Apart from passing your test (or PassPlus, IAM etc) or claims and convictions, there's nothing to measure it with.

when 2 people of the same age are quoted differently so radically, theres clearly something wrong.
    One is a higher risk than the other, so they pay more. Such is the nature of insurance.

Statistically, Asians are more likely to be involved in accidents that whites but if they were to be quoted higher, they would be an outcry.
    Never heard that before, but if it's true, fair point. Pretty sure insurance companies don't actually ask what race you are, though.

ReputationRep:
    My 3 litre Jag costs £196.

ReputationRep:
    while learning, male, 17years old, 0years ncb, was £260 TPO a year
    now, bigger engine, 18 years old, 1 year NCB, £215

Spoiler:
    Show

Motorbikes FTW!!!

ReputationRep:
    How is it in anyway fair that a girl in my class (who had just passed her test the day previously so wouldn't have either had her full licence for long at all) and is 17 so got quoted £1700 on car insurance but when I went and got a quote on the very same company, i got quoted £5000 even with 1NCB and had my licence for a year!

I get that i may have a newer car (She had a P reg corsa whilst mine is 51 reg clio) but that in no way justifies this, its sex discrimination really, why should small percentage of boy racers ruin it for everyone else?

Rant over
    Testosterone. I admit that it is sh*te and unbelievably sexist, but don't worry - as a guy, your earning prospects are better than hers so you can afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Yeah, you were just stating something you consider to be a problem without suggesting an improvement or alternative.

So what about people who just turned 17? No merits, no faults. What do you base it on? And how exactly do you measure these faults anyway? Apart from passing your test (or PassPlus, IAM etc) or claims and convictions, there's nothing to measure it with.

One is a higher risk than the other, so they pay more. Such is the nature of insurance.

Never heard that before, but if it's true, fair point. Pretty sure insurance companies don't actually ask what race you are, though.
    I'm not gonna bother, you've either missed the point or you're just disagreeing with me for the sake of it.... or both.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to come round your house, ask you questions, give you a score out of 100 on your chances of crashing and then do it for the 1000s of other people asking for insurance that day.

I'm not gonna bother, you've either missed the point or you're just disagreeing with me for the sake of it.... or both.
      No, he's pretty much got it spot on. You're just totally unaware of how insurance works.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.