Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strippers Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the profession of female stripping degrading to women, or empowering to women?
    Degrading
    70.67%
    Empowering
    29.33%

ReputationRep:
    I'm just interested to find out what the general consensus on this topic is. Do you consider the profession of female strippers to be degrading to women, or empowering to women?

Do you think it shows that women truly have the choice to do what they want to do and be who they want to be? Or do you think it discredits the actual person inside the body, and presents women as little more than mere pleasure objects in the subordination of men?

I've added a poll. Please explain why you chose whichever option you did.

Edit: Might be interesting to get some female viewpoints on the matter too.

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

It's a freaking job.

End of.

ReputationRep:
    Encourages people to view women as sex objects for entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Must feel very degrading... I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I like the odd trip to the strips. I must admit it is rather degrading. The way they all hound you for a dance and act as if they really fancy you to get your money, it's like who are you trying to fool. I came here for a lap dance, I don't mind paying, and you don't mind providing so honestly please stop this silly act. You and I both know I never came here for the 'banter'!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How is it degarading? They choose to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    Neither.

It's a freaking job.

End of.
    Out of interest - if your daughter or sister expressed plans on taking up a profession as a stripper, would you still consider it as just a job like any other? Would you consider the situation exactly the same as though they had expressed a desire to become anything else? Or would you on some level have an aversion to the idea?

ReputationRep:
    show or leave!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I doubt it's a job they want to be doing, it's most likely a last resort rather than a preferred job choice.
    But if they have chosen to do it, then yeah it's not degrading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Out of interest - if your daughter or sister expressed plans on taking up a profession as a stripper, would you still consider it as just a job like any other? Would you consider the situation exactly the same as though they had expressed a desire to become anything else? Or would you on some level have an aversion to the idea?
    I would just make a mental note to never visit that strip club... I have no desire to see my sister or future daughter stripping :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Most of them do it because they need the money, or because the Albanians forced them. Ofcourse there are some sluts that enjoy the attention, and thats why God made HIV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    I would just make a mental note to never visit that strip club... I have no desire to see my sister or future daughter stripping :p:
    You would have no problem with your sister/daughter doing that? I swear the west disgusts me, I need to get out.

You're the type that lets his daughter be shagged upstairs while you're watching Jeremy Kyle. Tfoe 3alayk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Absolutely. No difference whatsoever. Seriously, I don't have the same puritanical view of sex that many people seem to.

Most people in this supposedly modern society still seem to class people in the sex industry (and related sectors) as being some kind of second class citizens. At best, they view them with condescension and misplaced pity. And frankly, it doesn't make any sense to me.

It's a job. So what if it's "using ur body lolz nd thats bad lolz"? Every single manual-labour based industry on the planet is based around workers utilising their physical attributes in order to provide a service in exchange for money. I see no difference. (I think I've posted that here before actually, it sounds familiar).

I dunno where it all comes from. Probably some leftover religious crap or something. "Sex is bad". Right. Yeah. 'course it is.

I'd go a step further with your question and say I would also have no problems with my girlfriend/wife/whatever being in such a profession either. In fact I'd probably prefer it - being open about such things and not having arbitrary mental hangups is attractive to me.

Is it possible that if I were ever in the situation for real things might be different? Possibly, I suppose, but I would never for a second expect it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdWishes)
    I doubt it's a job they want to be doing, it's most likely a last resort rather than a preferred job choice.
    But if they have chosen to do it, then yeah it's not degrading.
    Errr.....what about the conditions a miner has to put up with, or a soldier risking limb on the frontline, or a teacher having to control 30 kids, a fireman risking their life...what a stripper has to do seems minor in comparison, and she gets good bucks.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's empowering, I think strippers in a way enjoy their work and obviously aquire the skills through practice and many of them have to earn a living they have bills to pay and likely a mouth to feed, I don't think it's degrading- many people have to earn a living by any means possible, including strippers.

ReputationRep:
    We analysed this topic in media once. I believe the conclusion was that the women are in control, considering they are the ones who decides what's allowed, and are getting the money. So the men are in the subordinate position.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'd do it if I didn't dance like someone who's receiving a powerful electric shock. You just don't get that kind of money from waitressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomaliMan)
    You would have no problem with your sister/daughter doing that? I swear the west disgusts me, I need to get out.
    Well get going then.
    I wouldn't really care, so long as she's healthy and happy.
    If she wants to get paid large sums of money by men to dance, well, fair enough, it's hardly a bad life.

I know a girl on my course who does stripping to pay for uni. Works 2 nights a week and makes more than the lecturers :p:

(Original post by SomaliMan)
    You're the type that lets his daughter be shagged upstairs while you're watching Jeremy Kyle. Tfoe 3alayk
    Eugh, no way.
    I hate Jeremy Kyle.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of my mums is an "exotic dancer", she is a lovely, well paid yet intelligent person. It is a job, a well paid job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    To be honest, I'd do it if I didn't dance like someone who's receiving a powerful electric shock. You just don't get that kind of money from waitressing.
    A girl on my course dances two nights a week and makes £800 on a good week.

Frankly, if I was female and good looking I'd probably do it too :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.