Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Windows 7 Activation - OEM => Retail Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had Windows 7 Pro on my machine, on an OEM license, but I reinstalled Windows completely, using a retail disc.

The licenses are not compatible it seems (I completely forgot this might be an issue).

Has anyone experienced this and solved it...?
    without talking to Microsoft?

(I will talk to my laptop manufacturer when I have access to a landline next week).

I have 30 days, and if worst comes to worst, I can restore the computer to what it was before the reinstall, but I will have to go through everything again.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    I had Windows 7 Pro on my machine, on an OEM license, but I reinstalled Windows completely, using a retail disc.

The licenses are not compatible it seems (I completely forgot this might be an issue).

(I will talk to my laptop manufacturer when I have access to a landline next week).

I have 30 days, and if worst comes to worst, I can restore the computer to what it was before the reinstall, but I will have to go through everything again.
    Is there any particular reason why you don't want just to use the activate by phone option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Is there any particular reason why you don't want just to use the activate by phone option?
    I'm not eligible for Microsoft Support based on my Product ID for the license.
    (I used Magic Beans to extract the license info from my factory installation and it gives me the Product ID and the license key).

I don't get a phone activation dialog box (unless it eludes me), just what is in the imag ebelow. If I click the '...phone...' link I just get Windows Help.

Also, I accidentally Googled my license key and it was on a warez site as a key for the manufacturer, along with a key for every other manufacturer. I really hope it is MY key. The Windows holographic sticker is on the retail box I think, but I don't have that with me and it's really hidden away at home.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the manufacturer. Also, there should be a sticker somewhere on the laptop itself (have you tried inside the battery compartment?). You will find the key on warez sites, because using OEM keys is often part of pirating an OS (it'll probably also involve spoofing an OEM BIOS or similar). Your key is still valid.

Phone or contact Microsoft and tell them your problem however if they don't comply say to the guy you brought the laptop of "according to this law..I have the right of this...etc" Its their fault for giving you a key therefore its their responsibility

Ps Dont be afraid of these big company's their always trying to rip people of. Hope this helps thanks

ReputationRep:
      From what I've read, the results of trying to activate by phone varies depending on the person you speak to. Some will just activate it, whereas others will tell you to fiddle off and buy the right version.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks everyone.

I didn't want to call Microsoft (it costs too much if you're not eligible for free support) or the manufacturer (08-- number and I don't have a landline)...

Luckily, I had a backup system image so I made one of the new installation, reverted to the old one and used a Windows license backup utility and then went back to the 'new' installation.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't want to call Microsoft (it costs too much if you're not eligible for free support) or the manufacturer (08-- number and I don't have a landline)...
      http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

what is this ?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        what is this ?
        You could just read the website, that would have been faster than posting asking. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.