Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That is, unless the job you want to do quite genuinely does require a degree like being a doctor, a scientist, a lawyer or an engineer to name some examples.

Governments of the past and of the present as well have portrayed having a degree as an automatic passport to having really a very good life indeed in other words to join the middle classes and become a respectable person with a professional-type job, a mortgage, a wife, children and a car or even cars in the drive. Personally I can't help but continue to think it's a load of BS to be honest. Looking back on the four years I spent at university, would I do it again? No. Life skills can be learnt other ways, not through piling up a s**t load of debt in the process. Did I leave with a large circle of friends? No. Did I find my future life partner? No. I left with a 2:1 but that's become devalued these days given that it's what most people get these days. When I see the protests in London and the really appalling vandalism (and it was highly disrespectful to swing on a flag on the war memorial on Whitehall - given what it represents, anyone who does that is beneath contempt - let alone deface the statue of Churchill) that took place something in me can't help but think "why??"

ReputationRep:
    It isn't all about study and getting a degree. Obviously, they are the main reasons but it is about experience, making new friends, getting "out there" and having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdnnl77)
    Looking back on the four years I spent at university, would I do it again? No. Life skills can be learnt other ways, not through piling up a s**t load of debt in the process. Did I leave with a large circle of friends? No. Did I find my future life partner? No. I left with a 2:1 but that's become devalued these days given that it's what most people get these days."
    I'm sorry to hear that you did not make many friends at university and did not manage to make use of your degree.

That doesn't mean it applies to everyone. I've completed a degree in social sciences and gained many skills and knowledge that will be useful in my future job, no regrets whatsoever. If the new fee system had existed back in 2007, I simply would have gone to university somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    That is, unless the job you want to do quite genuinely does require a degree like being a doctor, a scientist, a lawyer or an engineer to name some examples.

Governments of the past and of the present as well have portrayed having a degree as an automatic passport to having really a very good life indeed in other words to join the middle classes and become a respectable person with a professional-type job, a mortgage, a wife, children and a car or even cars in the drive. Personally I can't help but continue to think it's a load of BS to be honest. Looking back on the four years I spent at university, would I do it again? No. Life skills can be learnt other ways, not through piling up a s**t load of debt in the process. Did I leave with a large circle of friends? No. Did I find my future life partner? No. I left with a 2:1 but that's become devalued these days given that it's what most people get these days. When I see the protests in London and the really appalling vandalism (and it was highly disrespectful to swing on a flag on the war memorial on Whitehall - given what it represents, anyone who does that is beneath contempt - let alone deface the statue of Churchill) that took place something in me can't help but think "why??"
    A degree will more than likely get you further in life than it would if you didn't have one.

For example, I had a pretty bad time in my mid to late teens, culminating in me leaving school with poor GCSEs and failing my first year of AS. Now, I could have left education after that and never gone back. I could have tried to get a job and work my way up, but do you know what would have happened? Say, 5 years down the line I've really applied myself to the job and put in for a management position. A graduate, the same age as me also applies for the job. Who's going to get it? The graduate of course, as the company runs a graduate management scheme, that doesn't specify a particular degree field, it just wants graduates.

I'm going to university because my GCSEs and A-Levels will never be good enough to get a decent job with. Sure, not every graduate gets a good job and not every non-graduate is stuck in a poor job, but a degree certainly helps you move up faster than you would without one.

I'd love to go into teaching, so a degree is pretty much necessary. You don't get many non-graduates in teaching roles. Though, there was one guy at my secondary school who went from being a student support officer to an English and History teacher in about two or three years. Not with a degree, he'd never been to university, the school was simply ****!

ReputationRep:
    Om nom nom degrees.

ReputationRep:
    A graduate normally earns more than a non graduate over their lifetimes.

It's all about the Money baby !

We are paper chasers :cool:

ReputationRep:
    People may go because they enjoy learning.

ReputationRep:
    The argument your using is like saying ' why go to school? '

obviously the answer being is

' to not grow up retarded '.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    It isn't all about study and getting a degree. Obviously, they are the main reasons but it is about experience, making new friends, getting "out there" and having a good time.
    Exactly so why complain at having to pay more for the experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    The argument your using is like saying ' why go to school? '

obviously the answer being is

' to not grow up retarded '.
    A degree doesn't make your educated I'm afraid. You only have to look and hear most of the protesters to realise this

ReputationRep:

If you actually look at the statistical facts, it certainly shows that going to university in general is a very good investment.

ReputationRep:
    To make my mum proud.

ReputationRep:
    To learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    A degree doesn't make your educated I'm afraid. You only have to look and hear most of the protesters to realise this
    A lot of the protesters haven't got degrees :facepalm:

Do you really think someone in a lacoste tracksuit breaking up breeze blocks is

1) a student

2) a potential student

3) has the ability to get educated

Its more than likely a tag along trying to cause trouble.

A degree does make you educated as well - You get educated going through HIGHER EDUCATION obviously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.