The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nursing Help

Hi,

I'm really interested in becoming a veterinary nurse - however I've already done a degree (in English). I realise now that I went in the wrong directing and want to get back on track.

My problem is that I don't have any experience in working with animals - although I have always had pets. I am guessing I would need this experience for anyone to accept me at a training practice to study to be a RVN.

What routes have other people taken to get a place with a training practice?

Will they be less likely to consider me as I have an irrelevant degree??

Does anyone know of anywhere that takes on volunteers in Manchester?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,

Rosey B
Original post by roseyb
Hi,

I'm really interested in becoming a veterinary nurse - however I've already done a degree (in English). I realise now that I went in the wrong directing and want to get back on track.

My problem is that I don't have any experience in working with animals - although I have always had pets. I am guessing I would need this experience for anyone to accept me at a training practice to study to be a RVN.

What routes have other people taken to get a place with a training practice?

Will they be less likely to consider me as I have an irrelevant degree??

Does anyone know of anywhere that takes on volunteers in Manchester?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,

Rosey B

They won't be any less likely to consider it, just explain yourself in your personal statement and have a good answer ready when it comes to interview. You should get some experience yes, when i needed to get some i just wrote letters to about 20 vet practices near me, and 3 got back to me, so i went to them! It wasnt too difficult. I was applying to vet med, but experience is experience. Since you're applying as a graduate this probably means you have to pay full fees, but im sure its different from the vet med ones. Anyway, best advice is always to contact the uni's you fancy going to, and ask everything you've just asked here :-) goodluck x
Reply 2
I would get any experience you can. Kennels, cattery, dog grooming, stables etc. As long as you can show that you are spending time around animals.

Im not sure if its different in England but i did that degree in Vet Nursing at Napier in Edinburgh. They asked for 2 weeks of experience in a vets (at minimum). You didnt need to set up your own training when you started the course as they sorted you out at first.

Doing the degree is much better than just training on the job and going to college once a week. The degree is becoming much more recognised in the veterinary field and you learn so much more and can gain a well rounded experience in different vets.

You will need to pay full fees and you wont be paid for any of the placement that you have to do. I did placement in blocks and also throughout the whole summer. So no holidays for you!
Reply 3
Hi

Thanks for both of your replies. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go back and do another university course so on the job training would be my only option really. I was hoping to find a training practice to take me on and then I could do college one day a week and the veterinary practice pays the fees - although I think there is funding for some courses for those under 26 and I'm 23.

I hadn't thought of writing to kennels and catterys - that's a good idea! I think I'm going to send a load of letters out in the new year and hope for a response! I wanted to get writing t people now - but figured just before Christmas probably isn't the best time to get a good response!

I would love to start some training in September - but as it's really competitive we'll see what happens!
Reply 4
One of the trainee nurses at my practice did a Geography degree first and she's one of the best vet nurses there so I wouldn't worry! And yeah on the job training is definitely feasible, there are plenty of training practices around and you get to be hands on straight away which my nurse friends love.
Reply 5
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!! Was worried that employers would see it as a negative as it makes you look like you change your mind a lot - but it really is something I've always wanted to do but just chose the wrong path in a panic at 18!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending