Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

u4m1r: Smolov Jr. Bench Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, I've decided to stop TM for a bit. Maybe I'll get back onto it later but for the next 3 weeks, I'm gonna run Smolov Jr. for bench :eek:

Gonna be conservative and enter 135 as max, and if all goes well it should leave me with around 150 bench.

Made a spreadsheet of it

Starting 1RM 135

Week 1

Monday 13/12/2010 [email protected]
    Wednesday 15/12/2010 [email protected]
    Friday 17/12/2010 [email protected]
    Saturday 18/12/2010 [email protected]

Week 2

Monday 20/12/2010 [email protected]
    Tuesday 21/12/2010 [email protected]
    Thursday 23/12/2010 [email protected]
    Friday 24/12/2010 [email protected]

Week 3

Sunday 26/12/2010 [email protected]
    Tuesday 28/12/2010 [email protected]
    Thursday 30/12/2010 [email protected]
    Friday 31/12/2010 [email protected]

One week of rest, then go for new 1RM

Looks ****ing mental. The reps I can hit, but the number of sets is mad. Would be really happy if I can hit those. 1st week im confident I can do, 3rd week not so much. I've had to switch around a few days too because of gym closures during christmas.

Another good thing with this is if i get bored at home which I probably will, I can go in on some days to do some light hypertrophy work

A lot of you would probably advise against this, it could go completely the wrong way, but I'm willing to take the risk. Its only 3 weeks afterall

ReputationRep:
    Goo luck looks fun. For Smolov jr front squat I made it a 3 day week instead of 4 sometimes... if I felt tired/was busy so just shifted workouts to alternate days, because back to back squatting is sometimes too much.

I've heard mixed things about it for bench, so will be interesting to see how it works for you. 10kg is a huge rise in bench for 3 weeks so don't be too unhappy if you don't get it.. 145 is probably more realistic

if you feel anything starting to go stop right away, don't want to be getting an injury

also from when I was benching 3x a week with sheiko, they insisted that you do light DB flys, or cable crossovers, 1 or 2 times a week to help prevent injury. I did them and I was fine benching 3x a week for months

Finally, I'd start doing shoulder dislocates (google them) as often as you can to keep your rotators in check

good luck brother

ReputationRep:
      Good luck man, I'm sure you will manage it!

ReputationRep:
      Day 1: Monday 13/12/2010

Bench

50kg x 8
      70kg x 6

95kg x 6
      95kg x 6
      95kg x 6
      95kg x 6
      95kg x 6
      95kg x 6

Piss easy, felt like a warmup. Lightweight baby! Let's not get too big headed though, it's only the first day.

Rows

70kg x 8
      70kg x 8
      70kg x 8

Deadlift

70kg x 3
      120kg x 3
      160kg x 2

180kg x 5
      180kg x 5

Harder than they should've been.

Abs

First time in ages that I'm done in under an hour on a monday. Normally mondays take 2 hours+

ReputationRep:
      Good stuff, you hear all sorts of stuff about this program but hope it works for you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by C-BRO)
      Good stuff, you hear all sorts of stuff about this program but hope it works for you.
      I asked over in the PL section of BB.com, got mixed opinions. Some people said they got real good gains out of it, so might aswell give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
      nice, are you gonna keep doing rows/DL/other lifts in general during weeks 2 and 3?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by redbuthotter)
      nice, are you gonna keep doing rows/DL/other lifts in general during weeks 2 and 3?
      Yeah, the guys on BB.com said don't not do squats and deadlifts and your other normal excercises. Just bench first, then do the rest.

ReputationRep:
      How long has it taken you to progress from say 100kg bench to where you are now? It's crazy and the gym noob inside me really adores you for these mad numbers you have on the bench (all homo intended)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by C-BRO)
      How long has it taken you to progress from say 100kg bench to where you are now? It's crazy and the gym noob inside me really adores you for these mad numbers you have on the bench (all homo intended)
      Let me tell you the whole story of my origin. Back in year 11 was when I first started using the school gym, and started benching 60kg for faggy quarter reps. I was a chubby kid at 5'8 ~72kg. I just ate and trained like a fag (no squats/dls) but benched every week without fail. I didn't gain any bodyweight, but I go up to 80kg on the bench doing half reps.

Then year 11 ended and I moved school. Year 12 was wasted doing **** all and trying to get lean doing a lot of cardio. I cut down to about 67kg. One day I hit the bench again and couldn't even do 70kg and then it struck me, what the **** was I doing? I hadn't even got very lean (still no visible abs) and had lost so much strength.

Over the summer of year 12 I joined a gym, trained for about two months, but was still clueless and wasn't eating enough to make any significant progress. Beginning of Year 13 I got serious and looked up SS. I started eating like there was no tommorow, and also squatted and deadlifted for the first time ever. I started properly benching (touching chest). Within about 3 months I shot up to 80kg bodyweight, and was benching ~85kg properly for 3x5, deadlift ~130 and squatting ~110.

After 3 months on SS, I realised I was getting chubbier by the day, and also looking at other powerlifters I thought **** this I don't wanna look like these fat ****s. So from around Jan-March 2010 I cut down my eating and started training like a fag again.

Then one day, I saw one of my old school mates doing some deadlifts. He was repping 100kg, in order to impress my fellow lifter, I put on 140kg, having never lifted that much weight before. I gripped it and gave it my all and busted out with 4 reps. It felt damn good! Then I got serious again on getting stronger. Next week I DL'd 150x3, the week after 160x2 and 170x1 the following week. The week after 170 I tried 180 but failed, so I looked up a DL program. Alongside this, I one day tested my bench and managed 2 reps of 100. So I started a bench program too. I never looked back again.

March to June 2010 I did these peaking programs (both the Ed Coan ones) and those got me to 190 DL and 120 bench. Then I started Texas and am here now.

I have way too much time on my hands

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by C-BRO)
      Sorry, to answer your question simply, I benched 2 reps of 100 (bounced) in March, and did 140 (controlled, not bounced) in December.

ReputationRep:
      nice progress, when you run a special say bench programme, what would you do for DL/Squat?

that is a lot of progress on bench in those months mate! fair play

I'm not built for bench in the slightest, the longest mutha fudging arms with no mass on them lol

ReputationRep:
        Sub'd.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by u4m1r)
        Nice, you did the thing that many people don't/never will do and actually started training properly. Hopefully I'll have some numbers as decent as these at some stage in the future!

ReputationRep:
        fml gym closed due to power cut

ReputationRep:
        Day 2: Thursday 16/12/2010

Bench

Bar x 8
        60kg x 8
        80kg x 5

102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5
        102.5kg x 5

Pretty easy, last set was tiny bit slower than the rest, but still fast.

Shrugs

220kg x 5
        220kg x 5
        220kg x 5
        130kg x 8

Squats

Tried these after 3 weeks. Felt good on the bar and 70kg, then I put 120kg on and on the 2nd rep I felt the same sort of pain in lower back so I stopped there. Need to do more strecthing and flexibility work.

Chins

BW x 6
        BW x 4

Abs

ReputationRep:
        Good luck.

ReputationRep:
        Day 3: Friday 17/12/2010

Bench

Bar x 8
        60kg x 5
        80kg x 5

107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4
        107.5kg x 4

Good, starting to get harder now but still manageable. My triceps could handle it but the DOMS on pecs from the day before made it harder

SLDL

150kg x 3 x 5

And some other stuff not really worth mentioning.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.