Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pulled Shoulder Muscle - Should I Continue to do Pushups? Watch

ReputationRep:
    PS: I would prefer answers from people who understand what breakdancing/bboying is

I hope I can get some exercise. I pulled a shoulder muscle (it wasn't too bad) about 1.5 weeks ago (my right one) and it has happened every practice since then. However, when I do my daily pushups, it never hurts. I do 400 a day. I'll take a break from bboying and using that arm for related things, but should I really stop doing pushups?

Cause it doesn;t hurt at all when I do pushups.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was only girls who had them gay sigs.

ReputationRep:
    Your shoulder muscles are only worked out a little during pushups -- mainly as stabilisers. If it doesn't hurt then it should be okay; pain is your body's way of telling you to stop.

But 400 pushups a day? That's completely pointless. It's far too many to build any size or strength, and even for endurance it's going a lot over the top. And everyday? Your body needs time to recover.

For size, (you mentioned body-building) do three sets of 8 - 12 reps, and put a weight on your back to increase the resistance -- you want to fail on the 12th rep. Throw in a couple of chest exercises like chest presses and flies, and then wait at least 5 days until working out the chest again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRushton)
    Your shoulder muscles are only worked out a little during pushups -- mainly as stabilisers. If it doesn't hurt then it should be okay; pain is your body's way of telling you to stop.

But 400 pushups a day? That's completely pointless. It's far too many to build any size or strength, and even for endurance it's going a lot over the top. And everyday? Your body needs time to recover.

For size, (you mentioned body-building) do three sets of 8 - 12 reps, and put a weight on your back to increase the resistance -- you want to fail on the 12th rep. Throw in a couple of chest exercises like chest presses and flies, and then wait at least 5 days until working out the chest again.
    Oh! Thanks a lot for this input. I didn't do it for size so much as strength, as I wanted to be able to raise my limit. But thank you, I was wondering if it was a bit much anyways (people told me this before, I just wasn't sure)

ReputationRep:
    For strength, you want to go for a rep range between 1 and 6. So again, add more resistance. As I'm sure you know, press ups work primarily the chest, although the shoulders work to stabilize and the triceps help out. You want to work out your entire body, not just one area. Think of pull ups, bicep curls, shoulder presses, leg presses, crunches... Just some suggestions of exercises you can do without needing a gym.

ReputationRep:
    how the f uck do you do 400 pushups a day ._______________________________ _______________________.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.