The Student Room Group

Can a teacher do this?

Hey there guys. I am an 18 year old guy. I have this (male) teacher who repeatedly makes fun of my weight; both inside and outside the class. He constantly uses "fatty" to refer to me. I usually don't say anything because everyone laughs and I don't want to seem like a spoil sport. But it does kind of hurt. Is a teacher allowed to pass such comments about their students? What would be the best course of action to take about this?
Put down the burger and hit the treadmill tubbo.
Reply 2
there are few steps to go through......my advice is go through all of them and make him suffer!!!!!!!!!!!

go to this website it tells you everything you need to know

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/ed_complaints_school_teacher.htm
Reply 3
no, thats horrible :frown: i think you should maybe talk to him about it and then if he doesnt stop you should speak to the head of year?
No one should be poked fun at for any reason- fat, thin, ugly, pretty, black or white. Its wrong. He could probably get into serious trouble for it. Hope you sort it out soon :smile:
Reply 4
Regardless of how you actually look, that's unacceptable behavior coming from a teacher. It's completely unprofessional.
Reply 5
Go to another teacher, preferably someone higher up. Explain the situation and be completely honest - i.e. is there any chance that the teacher thinks its just banter - do you encourage it by calling him names back, or is it purely unprovoked.

I can't see why a teacher would do this maliciously - it's pretty much their job on the line. All I can imagine is that he believes there is some kind of rapport between the two of you and that you don't mind the nickname. Equally, do your friends refer to you in the same way in front of him?
Reply 6

You must be pretty fat for a teacher to do that all the time.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
What would be the best course of action to take about this?

Original post by monkeyDace
there are few steps to go through......my advice is go through all of them and make him suffer!!!!!!!!!!!

go to this website it tells you everything you need to know

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/ed_complaints_school_teacher.htm

MonkeyDace laid it out pretty well imo. If you were in the US it's likely that there would be a new face in that position tomorrow.
Hey there guys. I am an 18 year old guy. I have this (male) teacher who repeatedly makes fun of my weight; both inside and outside the class. He constantly uses "fatty" to refer to me. I usually don't say anything because everyone laughs and I don't want to seem like a spoil sport. But it does kind of hurt. Is a teacher allowed to pass such comments about their students? What would be the best course of action to take about this?

Talk to a higher authority than him about it.

Or eat your sorrow away.
Reply 9
I think this wouldn't even be acceptable if it came from your fellow students, let alone your TEACHER!! perhaps get your parents into this as well, to support you.
Reply 10
Are you actually fat?

Best course of action..report him to the headmaster?
Reply 11
Original post by paradox13
Are you actually fat?

Best course of action..report him to the headmaster?

Yes. I am borderline obese.

Original post by Pop_tart
I think this wouldn't even be acceptable if it came from your fellow students, let alone your TEACHER!! perhaps get your parents into this as well, to support you.

I don't want to get them involved. It'd get too awkward.
the teacher is not allowed to do this at all! Thats really awful hun, I hope you can get the situation resolved. With regard to how, talk to another teacher, talk to your head of year (they tend to be focussed far more on the pastoral issues sometimes). Just tell someone because they are not allowed to do this at all.
Reply 13
1) Get fitter
Go swim, and hit the gym

2) Talk to another teacher, head of year or the principal...you should stand up for yourself heh.

Although I agree, bringing in parents would be kinda awkward. If I was in you situation, I'd try and handle it myself.

Worst course of action would be not doing anything tho, imo.
Reply 14
I don't want to get them involved. It'd get too awkward.

I understand, either way I hope it gets resolved and that your teacher will realise it is totally out of order. There is absolutely no excuse at all, he is a teacher and should know much better.
Reply 15
Lay off the food

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending