Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend took my contract phone without me realising (I have it back now) but there's a £200 bill to pay at the end of the month... Is there anything I can do about this? My friend is refusing to pay the bill and I only had enough every month to pay for it at £25. I don't have a job so there's no money coming in really worried as there's no one that will help me out and some people have said that debt collectors will come around and take my stuff to the amount of the bill! Please help as I really don't have a clue what to do and I'm really worried that they're going to send debt collectors and take my stuff!

ReputationRep:
    find out what the charges are for and then ring up your provider and explain the situation that you cant pay it and ask to come to some sort of agreement with them, maybe to pay off in instalments or if your lucky a goodwill gesture to write it off...

also find a new friend lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    My friend took my contract phone without me realising (I have it back now) but there's a £200 bill to pay at the end of the month... Is there anything I can do about this? My friend is refusing to pay the bill and I only had enough every month to pay for it at £25. I don't have a job so there's no money coming in really worried as there's no one that will help me out and some people have said that debt collectors will come around and take my stuff to the amount of the bill! Please help as I really don't have a clue what to do and I'm really worried that they're going to send debt collectors and take my stuff!
    Firstly, try phoning your provider and tell them that you had your phone stolen. (exaggerate a tad) and that a friend found it and gave it back to you, now you have this huge bill. Tell them you didn't report it to the police as it was only missing for a day and you saw no point. Ask them if there is anything they can do e.g. trace calls and see who they were to and check all your other calls prior so they can see that you do not usually call this number etc. If they still insist you pay tell them you will set up a plan with them. Debt collectors come after seveeral warnings and no contact from you so don't worry about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KellyWellyWoo537)
    Firstly, try phoning your provider and tell them that you had your phone stolen. (exaggerate a tad) and that a friend found it and gave it back to you, now you have this huge bill. Tell them you didn't report it to the police as it was only missing for a day and you saw no point. Ask them if there is anything they can do e.g. trace calls and see who they were to and check all your other calls prior so they can see that you do not usually call this number etc. If they still insist you pay tell them you will set up a plan with them. Debt collectors come after seveeral warnings and no contact from you so don't worry about that!
    Thank you! I only just realised yesterday what the amount was because I rarely check what my charges are (I only ever go over my bill about £2 at the most) I'm thinking about going down on Monday and explaining the situation to them..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hes not really your friend is he

ReputationRep:
    What the hell did they do to get a £200 bill??
    In any case, I really doubt you'll get anywhere with the network. In regards to cases like this where the phone is stolen or lost and a huge bill gets racked up, they usually require the owner to have reported the phone as lost / stolen within 24 hours (or a similar timeframe).

ReputationRep:
    Some friend... She takes your phone, then racks up a huge bill, and now refuses to pay for it?!?! How do you call that a friend? Stab the *****.

ReputationRep:
    As people have said find out what the charges are for, then show you friend and force her to pay it. If it was me i'd go round to her house and take her phone/ipod ect and tell her if she don't pay you'll just use that to pay it off.
    Don't let her/he get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly she knew it was your phone. She should've realised all the contacts and layout was different which believes me to think she racked up the bill deliberately. She's not your friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.