Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing about another university's summer program in my PS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to this spectacular summer program at Yale university called the Ivy Scholars Program during the summer, and got the opportunity to be lectured by professors such as Paul Kennedy and John Lewis Gaddis. It was an exceptional experience and really added to my intellectual and global perspectives, so I wish to write about it in my Personal Statement.

However, I'm worried that since its at Yale, which is obviously not in the UK and therefore has nothing to do with UCAS, the uni's I'll be sending my PS to will be unhappy reading about it. Should I perhaps leave out the name "Yale" and just put "a prestigious Ivy League" and then mention my experience there? or do you think it would be fine to just put "Yale" and write about it? or rather, maybe I should leave it out completely??

Thanks for your help in advance~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkle*92)
    Hey, other unis will like it. or at least cambridge liked mine. I went to a summer program at Brown and I put it in my PS and they seemed really interested in it and asked me what I thought of the course, city etc and one interviewer even said she liked that I'd done that course. I just put 'XXX course' at 'Brown University'. If I were you, I'd just put Yale University because it takes up less characters than 'a prestigious Ivy League'.
    lol, that's a good point! character count is so important indeed, hehe. alright then, I guess I'll do that! did you talk about how you felt/what you learnt at the course, or did you just briefly mention it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkle*92)
    Um. Yeah I wrote like the main thing we learn there and what interested me the most. In two sentences I linked it on to something else I read related to my subject so it would stand out less, in case unis didn't like it.
    haha alright thanks so much! so have you heard from cambridge(or are you there already)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chizuru)
    haha alright thanks so much! so have you heard from cambridge(or are you there already)?
    What you actually write about the course is far far far more important than the actual university you did the course at, they won't really care about the university. You could have done the same course at the University of Nowhere and been lectured by me, for example, but if you wrote about that in a positive, applicable manner to your application then this would be fine. The point of mentioning the course is to say how doing X contributed to your enjoyment of the subject you're applying for and how it enhanced your desire to study it at university. The point is NOT to say "I went to a prestigious Ivy League university once and was lectured by famous people. I'm so amazing!" so like I said, the actual location and people there is totally irrelevant to your application. Its what you actually gained from it which is the part they're interested in reading.

If all you're going to write about it is:
    "It was an exceptional experience and really added to my intellectual and global perspectives"
    Then I wouldn't bother mentioning it as it is likely to add little to your application other than show you can write like a prospectus. Focus on what you got from it in terms of your academic interest in the actual university course you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    What you actually write about the course is far far far more important than the actual university you did the course at, they won't really care about the university. You could have done the same course at the University of Nowhere and been lectured by me, for example, but if you wrote about that in a positive, applicable manner to your application then this would be fine. The point of mentioning the course is to say how doing X contributed to your enjoyment of the subject you're applying for and how it enhanced your desire to study it at university. The point is NOT to say "I went to a prestigious Ivy League university once and was lectured by famous people. I'm so amazing!" so like I said, the actual location and people there is totally irrelevant to your application. Its what you actually gained from it which is the part they're interested in reading.

If all you're going to write about it is:
    "It was an exceptional experience and really added to my intellectual and global perspectives"
    Then I wouldn't bother mentioning it as it is likely to add little to your application other than show you can write like a prospectus. Focus on what you got from it in terms of your academic interest in the actual university course you want to do.

okay, thanks. it's just that I was once warned by a college counselor to never write about another university that is not the university you are applying to, so I wasn't sure if I should keep following that advice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    okay, thanks. it's just that I was once warned by a college counselor to never write about another university that is not the university you are applying to, so I wasn't sure if I should keep following that advice.
    They will know that for a lot of these summer programmes that people will go to unis local to them, whereas they will apply to unis a lot further away

ReputationRep:
    Well you're clearly not going to be applying for Yale with your UCAS application.

As has been said, a lot of universities run access schemes and summer programmes for high achieving students who might not otherwise consider applying there or for a particular subject. It isn't uncommon for people to discuss having attended one of these courses in the PS and they sometimes do name the university.

With your particular circumstances though it seems the main reason you wish to include the name is to give yourself some wow factor, but like I said, the name alone means nothing. Its what you say about your experience which is interesting and what they want to know about, not just the fact you went to a summer school.

ReputationRep:
    Off topic but...

Wow you got to be in a lecture with John Lewis Gaddis!?

His book on the Cold War was always being praised by my history teachers last year and when I got to read it, it didn't dissapoint!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.