Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

putting wet shirt in the microwave. Watch

ReputationRep:
    heres the deal - i have work in 2 and a half hours, and i forgot to take my work shirt out of the washing machine last night. I need it to dry asap, its really friggin cold (in case you guys havent noticed) and i dont want to go to work in a moist shirt.

shall i just leave it in the microwave for half an hour or so? im asking you guys because ive never tried this before, and i dont to burn my shirt or do some crazy shizzle to it.

ReputationRep:
    Now I can appreciate why you're called Knob Head.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an oven?

ReputationRep:
    How about a hair dryer or a heater? There are definitely safer ways to do this...

ReputationRep:
    Do it.

ReputationRep:
    Use the oven you dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    Put it on the radiator. FYL.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto the first reply...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.hairy.turnip)
    How about a hair dryer or a heater? There are definitely safer ways to do this...
    what's DANGEROUS about it?

my microwave has vents, the steam does leave

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm a retard as well but what are the obvious dangers of doing this?!

ReputationRep:
    Microwaves heat water molecules to extremely high temperatures.. and you don't know how much heat would be generated. Plus its sealed in a box so you can't smell burning, nor see smoke. Stick to a radiator yo.

edit: Just noticed the OP posted this 3 hours ago, hope whatever you did worked :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by some dude from the internet)
    Yes, you can. You SHOULDN'T, but you can. I've done it... but I don't recommend it. (It was an hour of desperation--cold winter and me without any warm dry socks!)

It's really just a bad, bad idea. I set one sock on fire. Another one warped into an interesting, decidedly non-foot shape. I noticed that all the socks I microwaved wore out and developed holes quicker than my other socks. So don't do it. No matter how desperate you are. Hop down to the laundromat and use the clothes dryer.

Repeating my admonition about absolutely not doing it, here's how I did it--and I accept no responsibility if you try this and ruin your clothes/microwave/burn down your house/etc.:
    Don't even think about nuking dry anything with metal on it--buttons, fasteners, underwire, etc.
    Put your microwave on 50% power.
    In conclusion, no. Surely you must have one of a radiator/ hairdryer/ oven?

ReputationRep:
    I also think you should go with the radiator or hair dryer!

ReputationRep:
    NO! Dont do that you Knobhead! wear it f**** wet if you must or go out without a t-shirt on. lol

ReputationRep:
    Ironing would be the best way.

ReputationRep:
    Your house doesn't have radiators?

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure your shirt has some form of polymer plastic in it ...

... and last time i checked plastic + microwaves = :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Come on it. Make sure it's hot and steamy. Then come on your boss too. Semen FTW!

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have tumble dryer? I always used a hair dryer or the heated towel rail in our bathroom was the best bet for quick drying.

ReputationRep:
    none of my clothes dried in time, so i ended up pulling a sickie. it was far too cold to be going to work in wet clothes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.