Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just read the Daily Mail (yes, I know its a racist piece of garbage) but I wanted to see things from a white, middle class perspective.

What I thought was interesting was the son of a famous rock singer was involved in the riots:

Apparently his dads worth £80 million, so was his protest really on behalf of people like me? Africans who will almost definitely be prevented from coming to Britain to study, except for the tiniest, richest few? Or was he there for a bit of fun? A laugh, perhaps, and the opportunity to tell his rich chums about his day rioting.

I wonder how many of the people there were foreign students? Of course if we broke the law we would be deported, and the thousands of pounds we spent thus far would have been wasted.

What is it these people achieved?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of international students aren't very sympathetic to the cause. Since they pay extortionate fees, they think it's only fair that home students do too.

I have seen quite a few EU students though. For some people the protests are an excuse to cause trouble but I think for most students its an opportunity to express their frustration against the Tories and their Lib Dem bedfellows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    A lot of international students aren't very sympathetic to the cause. Since they pay extortionate fees, they think it's only fair that home students do too.
    Yet their parents aren't paying the taxes.

It's their choice to study in the UK and pay those fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))

So should poor students whose parents claim benefits be paying high fees, then? After all they're not paying taxes.

What about the foreign students who stay on in the UK? Perhaps we ought to get our contributions refunded. In many cases the UK has lured doctors and nurses from third world countries over here to ensure your parents have a subsidised NHS - subsidised by the poorest people in the world, many of whom may have to spend money they can ill afford to get a bus to the next village or town with their very sick children, because the local doctor left for the UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))

But that doesn't make us any richer than you. Most foreign students' parents scrounge every last penny so that they can send their child off for a good higher education.

The rise in fees does, and will, affect us. How it will is not exactly as clear cut as it is for you guys. That's why you won't see us protesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    But that doesn't make us any richer than you. Most foreign students' parents scrounge every last penny so that they can send their child off for a good higher education.

The rise in fees does, and will, affect us. How it will is not exactly as clear cut as it is for you guys. That's why you won't see us protesting.
    LOL Don't kid yourself. Many of the 'universities' are pretty rubbish to be honest. Many come here because at the end of their course they find work and obtain residency. But yes, the fees are extortionate, especially for people from Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caritas)
    So should poor students whose parents claim benefits be paying high fees, then? After all they're not paying taxes.
    Statistically speaking I'm sure you'll find that the percentage of people going to university whose parents claim benefits is much lower than those with parents who work. If the parent(s) don't work when their child enters/applies for university - chances are they've worked at some point in their life and also carry the possibility of obtaining a job in the future.

What about the foreign students who stay on in the UK? Perhaps we ought to get our contributions refunded. In many cases the UK has lured doctors and nurses from third world countries over here to ensure your parents have a subsidised NHS - subsidised by the poorest people in the world, many of whom may have to spend money they can ill afford to get a bus to the next village or town with their very sick children, because the local doctor left for the UK!
    There is no guarantee they'll stay in the UK after they've graduated though.

But yes, the fees are extortionate, especially for people from Africa.
    International students are all charged the same at each university.

And once again, international students have chosen to study here and pay those fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Like I said, that is a choice you make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    Like I said, that is a choice you make.
    I know, but you make a choice to go to uni as well, don't you? There's no obligation, as far as I'm aware.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Caritas)
    I just read the Daily Mail (yes, I know its a racist piece of garbage) but I wanted to see things from a white, middle class perspective.

What I thought was interesting was the son of a famous rock singer was involved in the riots:

Apparently his dads worth £80 million, so was his protest really on behalf of people like me? Africans who will almost definitely be prevented from coming to Britain to study, except for the tiniest, richest few? Or was he there for a bit of fun? A laugh, perhaps, and the opportunity to tell his rich chums about his day rioting.

I wonder how many of the people there were foreign students? Of course if we broke the law we would be deported, and the thousands of pounds we spent thus far would have been wasted.

What is it these people achieved?

Clearly a bit of fun he was off his head on drugs

ReputationRep:
    that's a GUY?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean daughter?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.