Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I like both material science and physics but I haven't decided which course to ultimately choose .

Say I applied this year and was offered the material science course but rejected for physics by Oxford (deferred till 2012) or the other way round, and

If I accepted the material science/physics course, can I still reapply for physics while having accepted the material science offer?

ReputationRep:
    No, you can't apply again if you're holding a deferred entry offer. If you want to make a new application then you have to decline that offer.

ReputationRep:
    do you have an interview for material science and physics this year?

ReputationRep:
    yes, I've had my interview for material science and physics on friday, and will have my next interview for physics on tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrilliantMinds)
    yes, I've had my interview for material science and physics on friday, and will have my next interview for physics on tuesday
    Peregrinum is correct and you can not do what you're suggesting. If you get one offer and accept it, if you then decide to apply to university for the other course the following year you lose the offer for this year regardless of whether it was deferred entry.

From your signature it doesn't seem like you've actually applied for material science so I'm not overly sure what your dilemma is about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Peregrinum is correct and you can not do what you're suggesting. If you get one offer and accept it, if you then decide to apply to university for the other course the following year you lose the offer for this year regardless of whether it was deferred entry.

From your signature it doesn't seem like you've actually applied for material science so I'm not overly sure what your dilemma is about!
    I thought we weren't allowed to apply for more than one subject at the same university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrilliantMinds)
    I thought we weren't allowed to apply for more than one subject at the same university?
    You can apply for as many subjects as you wish at the same university. The only places there are rules against this is Oxford or Cambridge where you can only apply for one course at one of the universities. Some universities have their own rules such as they will only consider your application for 2 courses meaning applying for any more than this would be a waste of a space.

However, it is generally not advisable to do so as obviously then you have the issue of trying to write a PS for two different subjects. With some universities it can also damage your chances on the course you really want to do as from their internal application systems (and obviously just by reading your PS) they know that you've applied for a different course, meaning it doesn't make you look overly committed to their degree if you're applying for another one as well. Therefore, why should they take you over someone else who is clearly really focused on physics?

Material sciences is a fairly niche subject and from what I know from PS help a lot of people apply for a mixture of MS and chemistry/physics because obviously you can't study it at loads of universities. I don't know how successful these people are though but given the niche of the subject I'd assume admissions would be used to people applying for a different subject as well as their course, but applying for another course at the same university is probably not the best path to follow (particularly if it is the likes of UCL, Imperial, LSE) even in this circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    i see, thanks for the information! I've given more thought and decided that physics, still is, my true calling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.