Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...........?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    ...........?
    Look, as long as you are within the top 15 for law and finish within the minimum entry requirement of the firm....you can get your foot in the door. Then its up to you through extracurriculars, etc. to get the job.

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_...ian_cohen.html

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_...w_jenkins.html

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_...ell_wells.html

ReputationRep:
    No they have a vendetta against QMUL because Queen Mary molested them all as children. That is why all the firms banded together to form the Magic Circle, so they could plot their revenge against QMUL and all its law students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    No they have a vendetta against QMUL because Queen Mary molested them all as children. That is why all the firms banded together to form the Magic Circle, so they could plot their revenge against QMUL and all its law students
    Rings and circles can still get violated... pause.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there aren't nearly as many QMUL grads in MC firms as Oxbridge grads, so if you want to ensure a place you will need to make an effort to make yourself stand out (meaning have great ECs, really do your research and get a first)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Yes, but there aren't nearly as many QMUL grads in MC firms as Oxbridge grads, so if you want to ensure a place you will need to make an effort to make yourself stand out (meaning have great ECs, really do your research and get a first)
    thank you so much! best advice here!!!!

ReputationRep:
    More difficult than with a more prestigious university but not impossible.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by tony_ron)
    More difficult than with a more prestigious university but not impossible.
    You see, this is quite interesting. As some say the same as both of you, others say it doesn't matter, and you have the same chance as the others, as your extra-curriculars account for much more. However, on the note of not having a lot of QM grads in top law firms, and the only way to do this, is to gain more extra experience etc, aren't there already individuals who are doing this? And still not obtaining places. Because, if thats the case, then it is down to the university is it not? As theres bound to be people who understand the potential stigma some may hold on QM, and work hard outside of studying to tighten their profile. So why then, are there not a lot on the top law firms profiles?

Its quite confusing. QM either is, or isn't a good university with employability rates. And it is interesting, why you hardly see a lot of them in the top law firms, in comparison, to Warwick, Exeter, Leeds etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))
    You see, this is quite interesting. As some say the same as both of you, others say it doesn't matter, and you have the same chance as the others, as your extra-curriculars account for much more. However, on the note of not having a lot of QM grads in top law firms, and the only way to do this, is to gain more extra experience etc, aren't there already individuals who are doing this? And still not obtaining places. Because, if thats the case, then it is down to the university is it not? As theres bound to be people who understand the potential stigma some may hold on QM, and work hard outside of studying to tighten their profile. So why then, are there not a lot on the top law firms profiles?

Its quite confusing. QM either is, or isn't a good university with employability rates. And it is interesting, why you hardly see a lot of them in the top law firms, in comparison, to Warwick, Exeter, Leeds etc.
    I think you see as many QMUL grads at MC firms as at somewhere like Warwick and more than from places like Exeter/Leeds. QMUL is still a great university, but there is definitely an Oxbridge/LSE/UCL dominance.

ReputationRep:
    lol what is all this stuff about extra ciriculars being the most important thing - is this like the main thing in life?

So cos i play cricket, do charity work and am in lots of clubs im going to get a job really easily?!

surely they want the people that at interview are intelligent and have good communication skills more than a list of things u joined to improve your cv?

ReputationRep:
    I think you see as many QMUL grads at MC firms as at somewhere like Warwick and more than from places like Exeter/Leeds. QMUL is still a great university, but there is definitely an Oxbridge/LSE/UCL dominance.
    Yes, I see where your coming from. Although, through research, I tend to see more Exeter people than QM. And as you said more O/LE/UCL than the two combined. I mean, are there alot, recent QM grads that are in the top firms?
    I was looking at their law fair this year, and it does not have the top law firms there, apart from a few, whereas others attract more firms - would this have anything to do with the uni's themselves, or general procedure?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible you can get in, but definitely won't be an easy feat.

pls see what I wrote (if you're interested):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1485017&page=4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))

I sometimes despair of deterministic posts such as this.

The most important factor in getting a decent position is the quality of the candidate. Students from better universities secure a greater number of good positions not because employers discriminate against "lesser" universities but because a greater number of better students go to better universities.

There are undoubtedly things that any student can do to look more attractive to recruiters. Some of those are extra-curricular activities but they are not an end in themselves. Most recruiters understand the meaning of the phrase "CV packing". Recruiters are looking for people they think will do well as lawyers in that firm.

You are not comparing where particular firms recruit from. You are comparing the two or three profiles that the firms' marketing people have selected that year to put on that firm's website. No firm publishes where all its trainees come from.

Furthermore, the aim for any aspiring lawyer is to have a successful career. No one says "I really admire that man. He was a failure as a lawyer, but he was a failure at Slaughter & May"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I sometimes despair of deterministic posts such as this.

The most important factor in getting a decent position is the quality of the candidate. Students from better universities secure a greater number of good positions not because employers discriminate against "lesser" universities but because a greater number of better students go to better universities.

There are undoubtedly things that any student can do to look more attractive to recruiters. Some of those are extra-curricular activities but they are not an end in themselves. Most recruiters understand the meaning of the phrase "CV packing". Recruiters are looking for people they think will do well as lawyers in that firm.

You are not comparing where particular firms recruit from. You are comparing the two or three profiles that the firms' marketing people have selected that year to put on that firm's website. No firm publishes where all its trainees come from.

Furthermore, the aim for any aspiring lawyer is to have a successful career. No one says "I really admire that man. He was a failure as a lawyer, but he was a failure at Slaughter & May"
    The post was not deterministic. And if you thought it was, you read it wrong, and have not been reading the conversation. I was not personally saying that QM students do not have a chance, but instead, highlighting the point in the two previous posts I had quoted and edited: that you would have a lesser chance of obtaining a contract than other uni's, and that Warwick etc, are in the same position, in comparison to Oxb/LSE/UCL.

I then however, notes in my point, that browsing through Law firms directory, of trainees, I begin to see the same institutions popping up. So I would therefore ask you to kindly read the conversation properly, if you have already done so, before judging my intention.

And therefore, as you have rightly said, that it is the individual who can score themselves a chance. Not the institution. Which is what I was confused about, as there are differing opinions. However, I have pointed out that as their seem to be more top 5 universities, (which was recently said by someone else), that there must be institution bias, as they now have experience with which institutions churns out what type of graduate.

My opinion, however, is not biased towards the institution. As I have said in my recent posts, it is confusing whether QM has good job prospects or not with the top law firms. As I think it shout be down to merit, and achievement. However, as others have pointed out, we do see the same institutions popping up. So where are the QM grads who have also worked hard? Just a question. Not an insinuation of bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowballed)
    It's possible you can get in, but definitely won't be an easy feat.

pls see what I wrote (if you're interested):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1485017&page=4
    Thanks I'll have a read through.

*Thank you, you were understanding my drift. The last post you did was dead on, from your own experience, which does come up all the time. Amongst all the, 'yes just work hard, and get extra curriculars' talk. What firm are you at btw, and have you seen any QM grads in other firms, when recruiting/via other friends.

Why do you also believe that they are not that good Law school?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.