Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need advice about my English GCSE coursework Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

I've been extremly busy lately and I've not been on here for weeks!

I've been giving the media response coursework to do for Thursday and my teacher wants a draft. Bassically, we have to compare two car adverts, one being a tv ad and the other from a magazine/newspaper. I've already made a start and wirtten about 200 words. I need to write about 500-800 words and I aim to keep doing a little better each time so I can hopefully reach to an A* which is possible as I always believe in myself. To get a "C" I need to give personal and critical response to adverts which show understanding of the ways in which meaning is conveyed. Theyrefer to aspects of language (copy/slogans), structure (layout) and images to support their views. To get "A*" students make cogent and critical responses to adverts in which they explore and evaluate alternative and orginal interpretations. They show flair and precision in developing ideas with reference to structure and presentation. Students make subtle and discriminating comparisons within and between adverts.

Can experienced English GCSE students please help me by explaining in a short and more of an understanble meaning what to write about each one and what can help me to achieve these grades, I appreciate everyones help!

ReputationRep:
    To get a "C" I need to give personal and critical response to adverts which show understanding of the ways in which meaning is conveyed. Theyrefer to aspects of language (copy/slogans), structure (layout) and images to support their views.
    A C answer would probably be something along the lines of - what they see on the page, and referring to that without really going in depth - they would probably give you a point, explain, evidence, and maybe a bit more, but nothing else. For example, you might notice a picture in the middle - a response would probably be something like - "there is a large picture in the middle, which stands out more...this is used because..." - nothing wrong with that answer but not really a critical response to adverts and evaluating.

To get "A*" students make cogent and critical responses to adverts in which they explore and evaluate alternative and orginal interpretations. They show flair and precision in developing ideas with reference to structure and presentation. Students make subtle and discriminating comparisons within and between adverts.
    Note originality (it's a typical A-A* response to be original)- be original with your response and don't state the obvious. Don't end with a "hit and run" response. Why is langauge used like this, what effect does this have on the reader, was it purposely written like this? Why is the structure different? Critically compare two adverts and dont be too vague - focus on few things but write more about it. Don't be overly simple but do be consise. Preferably the way you write things will be a little more interesting than your typical - "firstly, there is this. Secondly..."
    An A* student should always refer to what they think as well in the conclusion to show "personal response" as well (despite it being a C criteria). Deveop your answers and be cohesive, don't randomly jump around. You could link it to other writings but remember, always stay on focus to the task set, or you'll be wondering and waffling a bit too much. An A* response isn't hard but you just need to be careful of not waffling on too much.

ReputationRep:
    Go look at the spec....they give guidelines regarding wt requirements are needed for a*/a........keep the language, audience and tone good......

Shu got 10/80 in his english cw

rip shu :e

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.