Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been having this issue for a while was wondering whether anyone had encountered anything similar and had any solutions for it.

The problem I have is that when I play games, it's fine for the first few minutes and then after a while the fps drops from a solid 150+ to about 30 and the screen shakes as well. During this period of about 10 seconds, it's virtually impossible to play. It then returns back to the stable condition but then again after a minute or so, the drop occurs again. This is a continuous cycle during gameplay.

This isn't to do with wireless lag, since I play wired. I've also got the latest bios and drivers for my card. When monitoring cpu temperatures, it averages around the high 50s so it's not that either. I'll probably format when I head back home for Christmas but if anyone knows what could be causing the problem, that would be much appreciated also.

I'm playing on a Dell 1555, which I've had for about 15 months now.

ReputationRep:
    FPS games are quite GPU dependent, check the temperatures of that. Could also try updating your graphics driver if there's an update.

If that fails, run the game in window mode if there's an option to do so, look at the processes in task manager and when the "spike" comes up, check to see if there're any other programs using a lot of CPU at that point.

Hope that helps =]

ReputationRep:
    Failing that, check with task manager to see if bill gates isnt trying to do something sneaky like install another useless windows update.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.