The Student Room Group

WikiLeaks' Julian Assange 'Should Get Nobel Peace Prize'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, yes he should.
Reply 2
Russia = troll
Reply 3
It's about time the, if the prize is to be used politically, that it acts against America.
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded to the person who

“...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Instead he has sowed the seeds of Political agitation.
lol Russia?

Anyway I don't think he should, but if there was a Nobel truth Prize, then he should definetely get it
Im all in favour of Assange and I even I know he shouldn't get the Nobel Peace Prize.
Original post by jonathan3909
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded to the person who

“...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Instead he has sowed the seeds of Political agitation.

Wikileaks brings to light when gov'ts do bad things. When armies murder, they can get away with it, and have been getting away with it. Wikileaks is bringing these to light - perhaps militaries will think twice before engaging in illegal warfare, now that they know that their actions may be found out, and they may be punished.
No he shouldn't. He should be freed from jail and this ridiculous charge against him should be dropped however.
Original post by The Cornerstone
lol Russia?

Anyway I don't think he should, but if there was a Nobel truth Prize, then he should definetely get it

This.

I think Wikileaks causes more peace than 'political aggravation' as the other poster suggested, but that doesn't mean I think he should get the Nobel Peace Prize. His actions aren't primarily for, or causing, peace.

Then again.. Al Gore and Barack Obama have won it before. If there aren't any decent alternatives, then Julian Assange does rank on the same level as those two, imo.
Reply 10
Since when was the Nobel Peace Prize not political. :rolleyes:

Yesterday's events are a prime case-in-point.
Reply 11
Have you seen Julian Assange's Facebook page. The pictures on there are the grimmest stuff I have ever seen.
Reply 12
Original post by Huskaris
Have you seen Julian Assange's Facebook page. The pictures on there are the grimmest stuff I have ever seen.

Wish I hadn't searched that... I was expecting something comical for some reason :s-smilie:
Original post by lightburns
Wikileaks brings to light when gov'ts do bad things. When armies murder, they can get away with it, and have been getting away with it. Wikileaks is bringing these to light - perhaps militaries will think twice before engaging in illegal warfare, now that they know that their actions may be found out, and they may be punished.

You get a Peace prize only if you've caused peace and not if you're about to cause it.No one can guarantee peace atleast in this current decade.
Reply 14
Original post by scriggy
Wish I hadn't searched that... I was expecting something comical for some reason :s-smilie:

Yeah, sorry about that...
It really is pretty rough.
It does make you think though. The more and more we keep doing this to people, the more and more people will become insurgents.
In Afghanistan and Iraq in a lot of places we were welcomed in happily, but the longer you stay, the more you become an occupier, and if someone killed my family albeit accidentally, I would pick up a gun and try and kill them.
Original post by jonathan3909
You get a Peace prize only if you've caused peace and not if you're about to cause it.No one can guarantee peace atleast in this current decade.

Barack Obama? Just come into office, and they couldn't guarantee the effects of his actions. He was awarded it because he was seen with the intentions of reaching out to other people and nations.
Reply 16
If he was nominated, hypothetically, it would be interesting to know whether the Norwegian government are pressured by the US - mirroring the Chinese reaction. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Tell it to the Afghans he outed for co-operating with the NATO mission. oh too late to tell them anything now.

He could have redacted their details, his wikileaks colleagues tried to pursuade him to redact their details but the ego stroking big head went ahead and screwed them over anyway.

Irresponsible dick.

mind you some of the previous NPP winners have had more blood on their hands - Henry Kissenger ferinstance.

Nice to see TSR 'moderates' declaring the guy innocent regardless of what the evidence against him might actually be :rolleyes:
Original post by lightburns
Barack Obama? Just come into office, and they couldn't guarantee the effects of his actions. He was awarded it because he was seen with the intentions of reaching out to other people and nations.

That's Barack Obama and this is Julian-He's not even near to peace!
Reply 19
NPP today is "Nobel political prize",not "Nobel peace prize"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending