Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK sorry for creating new threads every other week or so, but I have so many questions and unfortunately not many people from my country go to Soton so it's really hard to get any answers
    After looking at the accommodation site again, I decided I'd really like to apply for Aubrey House. However, seeing it is so close to Avenue Campus where the faculties of English,Philosophy, Archeology, etc. are located, does this mean they are more likely to give these rooms mainly to students studying these degrees ? (I'm in Chemistry) I'm asking because I don't want to end up in a significantly more expensive room because they can't find me a place there (Aubrey is only 200 people?)
    Anyway, I read really nice things about Aubrey House What are the rooms like, better than Connaught/Chamberlein ? What is the campus like and just share your impressions when you have the time
    And because the contract is only 34 weeks, are there storage areas throughout the university or city and how much does it cost to leave some things there over the Easter holidays per day (roughly) ?

P.S.: And yes I know it's way too early to be looking at accommodation

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I also understand because Highfield Hall is a "Small Hall" there isn't much more than the residential buildings themselves there ?? (I mean all the facilities in Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane that you can't find in Highfiled Hall) Is this a really bad thing?? I mean students have to travel to different campuses?
    I probably sound like an idiot, sorry

ReputationRep:
    They don't give preference to humanities students don't worry. I'm in Aubrey and there's a fair mix of engineers, medics etc. around
    The room sizes vary, mine is fine (i'm enhanced with washbasin) but some people I know have quite small rooms. Conversely, someone else's is enormous! Just because It's an old building I guess.
    Location wise, it's great! About ten mins from Highfield campus and fifteen from Portswood (shopping etc). Also, it's right by the common, which is great for walking etc
    Because they're so few of us there's a really communal feeling; we can have 'halls outings' to clubs and things like that. In the recent snow, we even built a halls igloo and had a midnight snowball fight in the central quad.
    There's a common room to hang out in, a dining hall and our own little bar! I don't think we're really disadvantaged in that respect.
    Storage wise, I've got all that to come...

(It is a little early to be thinking about all this though... )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.