This discussion is closed.
quinnbrakes
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This may be a pretty silly question but does anybody know if there is an equivalent to All Souls at Cambridge?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
This may be a pretty silly question but does anybody know if there is an equivalent to All Souls at Cambridge?

Is All Souls the one with no undergrads? As far as I'm aware, no, there's no equivalent at Cambridge.
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Is All Souls the one with no undergrads? As far as I'm aware, no, there's no equivalent at Cambridge.
Well, as far as I know, All Souls is a postgraduate college and there are postgraduate colleges at Cambridge as well: Darwin College, Clare Hall (I think that's only for women, not sure though) there might be another one as well. But definitely I'd say Darwin is the equivalent. It was founded after the war because the colleges couldn't accomodate all the post-grads.
earthmother
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All Souls is a bit more than a postgraduate College. Its membership are all fellows. I don't think there are very many of them. Quite an exclusive bunch. Presumably for research only. Why don't you go to the Oxford website and check them out?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that the lowest academic rank at All Souls' is Junior Research Fellow, so it is not for postgrads in general.

Part of their entrance examination is the cherry test -- you are fed cherries at dinner, and whether you pass or not depends on how elegantly you manage to dispose of the stones. Or at least that's the story.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
almost certain there's no equivalent
sisyphus
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
there's no near equivalent, no.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I think that the lowest academic rank at All Souls' is Junior Research Fellow, so it is not for postgrads in general.

Part of their entrance examination is the cherry test -- you are fed cherries at dinner, and whether you pass or not depends on how elegantly you manage to dispose of the stones. Or at least that's the story.
why not swallow them and claim they were stoneless?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (444)
59.04%
Yes- I don't like it (42)