The Student Room Group

Complex Numbers: Geometric Series

Hello :smile:

I am well and truly stuck on a question:

Use cos n0 = 0.5((z^n)+(z^-n)) to express cos0+cos30+cos50+...+cos(2n-1)0 (where I have used 0 to represent theta) as a geometric series in terms of z. Hence find this sum in terms of 0.

I have written the series as 0.5(((z^1)+(z^-1))+((z^3)+(z^-3)+((z^5)+(z^-5))+...+((z^(2n-1))+(z^(1-2n))). However, I cannot find a common ratio for this sequence and so do not know whether I have gone about it the wrong way.

Please could someone help me?

(P.S. Please quote me)
Reply 1
Original post by Magu1re
Hello :smile:

I am well and truly stuck on a question:

Use cos n0 = 0.5((z^n)+(z^-n)) to express cos0+cos30+cos50+...+cos(2n-1)0 (where I have used 0 to represent theta) as a geometric series in terms of z. Hence find this sum in terms of 0.

I have written the series as 0.5(((z^1)+(z^-1))+((z^3)+(z^-3)+((z^5)+(z^-5))+...+((z^(2n-1))+(z^(1-2n))). However, I cannot find a common ratio for this sequence and so do not know whether I have gone about it the wrong way.

Please could someone help me?

(P.S. Please quote me)

Write it as a series with the first term very negative:

12(z12n+z32n+...+z3+z1+z1+z3+z5+...+z2n1)\frac{1}{2}(z^{1-2n}+z^{3-2n}+...+z^{-3}+z^{-1}+z^1+z^3+z^5+...+z^{2n-1})
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby

12(z12n+z32n+...+z3+z1+z1+z3+z5+...+z2n1)\frac{1}{2}(z^{1-2n}+z^{3-2n}+...+z^{-3}+z^{-1}+z^1+z^3+z^5+...+z^{2n-1})

Thank you. I just could not work that out! haha
Reply 3
Original post by ttoby

Sorry for bringing this up again but my last post was a bit premature. I did not follow the problem through to the end. I have
0.5((z^(1-2n))+(z^(3-2n))+...+(z^(2n-3))+(z^(2n-1))
which is equal to
0.5(((z^(1-2n))((z^(4n))-1))/((z^(2))-1))

How do I then write this in its simplest form? (in terms of theta)
Reply 4
Original post by Magu1re

Original post by Magu1re
Sorry for bringing this up again but my last post was a bit premature. I did not follow the problem through to the end. I have
0.5((z^(1-2n))+(z^(3-2n))+...+(z^(2n-3))+(z^(2n-1))
which is equal to
0.5(((z^(1-2n))((z^(4n))-1))/((z^(2))-1))

How do I then write this in its simplest form? (in terms of theta)

So you have so far:
z12n2(z4n1z21)\dfrac{z^{1-2n}}{2}\left(\dfrac{z^{4n}-1}{z^2-1}\right)

Using a similar method to how you would have established cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n}), you can work out that isinnθ=0.5(znzn)i\sin n\theta = 0.5 (z^n-z^{-n}). This is useful because 0.5(znzn)=0.5(zn1zn)=0.5z2n1zn 0.5 (z^n-z^{-n})=0.5(z^n-\frac{1}{z^n})=0.5\frac{z^{2n}-1}{z^n} so 2isinnθ=z2n1zn2i\sin n\theta = \frac{z^{2n}-1}{z^n}.

Your answer so far can be re-written as 12((z4n1)/z2n(z21)/z)\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\dfrac{(z^{4n}-1)/z^{2n}}{(z^2-1)/z}\right) and you can put this in terms of theta using the above formula.

I'll give you an idea of the thought process that I went through in answering this question. My first instinct was to try and use the formula cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n}) and perhaps replacing n with some other number as appropriate. I noticed that cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)=0.5(z2n+1)/zn\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n})=0.5(z^{2n}+1)/z^n which looked very similar to the terms at the top and bottom of the fraction in the sum of the g.p. but the problem here was the minus sign so I wouldn't have been able to use these workings to make a substitution. So then I thought, if the only difference here is a minus sign then perhaps I might have more luck getting a formula for the g.p. in terms of sin? So I put together a similar formula in terms of sin n theta and it turns out that I can use it to replace the terms involving z.
Reply 5
Original post by ttoby
So you have so far:
z12n2(z4n1z21)\dfrac{z^{1-2n}}{2}\left(\dfrac{z^{4n}-1}{z^2-1}\right)

Using a similar method to how you would have established cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n}), you can work out that isinnθ=0.5(znzn)i\sin n\theta = 0.5 (z^n-z^{-n}). This is useful because 0.5(znzn)=0.5(zn1zn)=0.5z2n1zn 0.5 (z^n-z^{-n})=0.5(z^n-\frac{1}{z^n})=0.5\frac{z^{2n}-1}{z^n} so 2isinnθ=z2n1zn2i\sin n\theta = \frac{z^{2n}-1}{z^n}.

Your answer so far can be re-written as 12((z4n1)/z2n(z21)/z)\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\dfrac{(z^{4n}-1)/z^{2n}}{(z^2-1)/z}\right) and you can put this in terms of theta using the above formula.

I'll give you an idea of the thought process that I went through in answering this question. My first instinct was to try and use the formula cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n}) and perhaps replacing n with some other number as appropriate. I noticed that cosnθ=0.5(zn+zn)=0.5(z2n+1)/zn\cos n\theta = 0.5(z^n+z^{-n})=0.5(z^{2n}+1)/z^n which looked very similar to the terms at the top and bottom of the fraction in the sum of the g.p. but the problem here was the minus sign so I wouldn't have been able to use these workings to make a substitution. So then I thought, if the only difference here is a minus sign then perhaps I might have more luck getting a formula for the g.p. in terms of sin? So I put together a similar formula in terms of sin n theta and it turns out that I can use it to replace the terms involving z.

Thank you so much for your help with this question. This time I have followed it through right up to the final answer and am pleased to say it is the same as that at the back of the book. :smile:

That was an excellent explaination by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest