Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question is as follows:

Using the behaviour of the cot function near a singularity, solve a quadratic equation to find the 15th positive solution of x = cot(x)

Hope someone can give me a tip here. Would love to know what my quadratic should look like!

ReputationRep:
    cot(x) = 1/tanx

Re-arrange good fellow

ReputationRep:
    I suspect a series expansion is involved. For instance, \displaystyle \cot x = \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{3}x - \frac{1}{45}x^3 - \cdots. I'm fairly certain that this line of investigation will not yield an exact solution though...

ReputationRep:
    Still no idea as to how to find, specifically, the 15th positive solution? I have made an a priori estimate of 14*Pi..

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm going to guess you've noticed that in each interval [n \pi, (n+1)\pi] there's exactly one solution. (You may have to prove this.) So you're looking for a solution in the interval [15\pi, 16\pi]. Note, however, that cot is periodic, so asking for the 16th positive solution is the same as asking for the 1st positive solution of 15\pi + x = \cot x.
    • PS Helper

What context is this question in? I don't think you can find a solution in closed form, but you could certainly use iteration. Think, in relation to the locations of the singularities of the graph y=\cot x, how you can find an upper and lower bound for the 15th positive root of the equation \cot x = x. It would definitely help you to draw the graphs of y=\cot x and y=x on the same axes.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/cheatatmathh..._methods_help/
    • PS Helper

Right, so you need to approximate it, not find the exact solution; and you need to use MAPLE (both these bits of information would have been useful for you to put in your first post).

What numerical methods do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. I am certainly not an expert in Numerical Methods.

But I have a few notes to go on, albeit sketchy.

EDIT: If anybody can help with the other parts of this piece of work (as shown in my above link.. there should be an image of the questions in there) then it would be greatly appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.