Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Free school meals = No tuition fees Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does that new policy still stand for the 18,000 poor students or has it been scrapped too?

ReputationRep:
    It is a new policy they brought in.

Students who are entitled to free school meals will get 1 year free tuition if they study at a university charging £6,000, and 2 years free tuition at a universtiy charging £9,000.

Remember this really only effects a really small number of people, of whom, most won't go to university.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...d-2155943.html

ReputationRep:
    stupid rule. they dont have to pay up front, how poor their family was as a child should have nothing to do with it, the repayments are already set out so that you only pay what you can afford, its tories trying to prove it wont price people out of uni, like some idiots claimed

ReputationRep:
    Blarg.
    This is stupid. They can get loans like the rest of us! Free tuition, what have they done to deserve that? Loads of wealthy middle class parents will elect not to help their children out, for perfectly sensible reasons, and those children will be in the same position as poorer students.
    The government shouldn't take it for granted that parents will help you out- what happened to independence after 21?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    It is a new policy they brought in.

Students who are entitled to free school meals will get 1 year free tuition if they study at a university charging £6,000, and 2 years fee tuition at a universtiy charging £9,000.

Remember this really only effects a really small number of people, of whom, most won't go to university.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...d-2155943.html
    Alrite thanks for the link.

Those who will decide to go university will be better off than the majority of students who will be paying in full.

ReputationRep:
    this is stupid why should people who have parents who don't work or do work but don't claim to work get it free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    stupid rule. they dont have to pay up front, how poor their family was as a child should have nothing to do with it, the repayments are already set out so that you only pay what you can afford, its tories trying to prove it wont price people out of uni, like some idiots claimed
    Agree entirely. Everyone should pay the same fees and get the same grants and maintenence loans.

ReputationRep:
    What a crap policy.

ReputationRep:
    Very few people on free school meals will go to uni. Not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    Agree entirely. Everyone should pay the same fees and get the same grants and maintenence loans.
    dunno about the same maintanance loans
    if everyone gets the same maintainance loans, they do need to be raised. For those with no support from their parent, £3,500 isnt very much, the gov research a while ago apparently found that £12000 is the minimum salary to live on above poverty, and even with a part time jb and job over the summer students are going to be on less than that...

ReputationRep:
    I'm on free school meals and even I think it's a stupid policy... -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    dunno about the same maintanance loans
    if everyone gets the same maintainance loans, they do need to be raised. For those with no support from their parent, £3,500 isnt very much, the gov research a while ago apparently found that £12000 is the minimum salary to live on above poverty, and even with a part time jb and job over the summer students are going to be on less than that...
    Yeah they need to be raised to about £6,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Blarg.
    This is stupid. They can get loans like the rest of us! Free tuition, what have they done to deserve that? Loads of wealthy middle class parents will elect not to help their children out, for perfectly sensible reasons, and those children will be in the same position as poorer students.
    The government shouldn't take it for granted that parents will help you out- what happened to independence after 21?
    I doubt any "wealthy middle class parents" would let their children not go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    That's what you think.

Once the policy is applied for the tuition fee hike in 2012, those 18,000 poor students elligble for the 40% discount will all be on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    I'm on free school meals and even I think it's a stupid policy... -.-
    Why? You like to pay more?

You can always tell the student finance that you want to pay in full like the rest of the students.

Good idea eh?

ReputationRep:
    Once again, the middle people suffer. Richer families can afford to pay for their children's fees, poorer families get 2 years worth of their child's uni fees paid for them, and the middle people must carry that large debt on their backs for many years in their life after higher education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4ttari)
    That's what you think.

Once the policy is applied for the tuition fee hike in 2012, those 18,000 poor students elligble for the 40% discount will all be on it.
    Of those approx 18,000 how many will actually go though... not many.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid, but there aren't that many people on free school meals anyway. My household income was ~£11k and I didn't get free school meals (unless I was actually elegible but didn't get it? In which case: )

Apparently only 45 got into Oxford and Cambridge last year and half can't read to the accepted standard aged 11. [url[/url]. What the money really needs to go to is raising standards in certain state schools to improve education at an early age; they need a good base to start from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    A lot of my mates in my school get free school meals and believe me they have every chance in going to top unis like Cambridge!

But I do agree, the policy is stupid.

EDIT: I go to a grammar school as well so most of them get really good grades etc.

ReputationRep:
    I come from a very deprived background and I think its great!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.