Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alcohol after metronidazole Watch

ReputationRep:
    On Wednesday, I was prescribed, for a gum infection, a course of 3 200mg doses of metronidazole for 3 days. I took the last tablet at 10am this morning. My dentist said that I should be able to drink on Saturday, and by this I presumed he meant the evening.

However, most of the information I found online states that it is best to wait 48 hours after the last dose before drinking, though in most cases this supposes a 7-day course. Does the length of the course affect the advised waiting time? I imagine it doesn't.

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to drinking, say, 10-12 hours after taking a last dose? I am hosting a dinner this evening, and the inability to drink would not only affect what's in my glass, but also whether or not I can have sloe gin sorbet, wine-based gravy, and brandy Christmas pudding ie a significant proportion of the meal.

Thank you.

(Original post by Edenr)
      On Wednesday, I was prescribed, for a gum infection, a course of 3 200mg doses of metronidazole for 3 days. I took the last tablet at 10am this morning. My dentist said that I should be able to drink on Saturday, and by this I presumed he meant the evening.

However, most of the information I found online states that it is best to wait 48 hours after the last dose before drinking, though in most cases this supposes a 7-day course. Does the length of the course affect the advised waiting time? I imagine it doesn't.

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to drinking, say, 10-12 hours after taking a last dose? I am hosting a dinner this evening, and the inability to drink would not only affect what's in my glass, but also whether or not I can have sloe gin sorbet, wine-based gravy, and brandy Christmas pudding ie a significant proportion of the meal.

Thank you.
      Do not drink alcohol or you'll be vomiting like a trooper.
      A little alcohol in sauce however will make no difference

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      Do not drink alcohol or you'll be vomiting like a trooper.
      A little alcohol in sauce however will make no difference
      Would you recommend I wait 48 hours before drinking?

(Original post by Edenr)
        Would you recommend I wait 48 hours before drinking?
        yup
        Any in the system and you'll be tres sick.

ReputationRep:
        Just an update: a glass of wine, shot of rum, two shots of unknown spirit, a glass of brandy and a glass of whisky (consumed approximately 12 hours after finishing the course) produced no unpleasantness.

I shall see how I am in the morning. I suffered no side-effects whilst on the medication, so maybe that was an indicator that consuming alcohol after finishing the course would be unlikely to affect me either. I guess I'm just lucky.

ReputationRep:
        yesterday i was prescribed metronidazole for 5 days i have only took 2 yesterday and two today my last one was about a hour and a half ago i was wondering if it would b ok to hav a drink or 2 tonite if i could hav a reply asap it would b great?thank u

ReputationRep:
        Nooooo , it can react very badly with alcohol- nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate. You need to wait until it's out of your system. You also need to take the medicine properly or you might as well not bother- if you don't take the doses when you're meant to it can kill off the weak bacteria (or fungi) and leave the resistant stronger ones, which will be a bugger to get rid of.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.