Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it possible to like someone you've never met, just spoken to online? Watch

Okay ppretty self explanitory.. Is it possible to llike someone as more than a friend if you have only spoken to them online.. And not met in person?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    yes

just man up and meet them now

ReputationRep:
    Yes BUT what you like isn't quite the "real" thing. It's the fantasy of the person you have built in your head, using some of the things you know about them, and you inventing the things yu don't (because you haven't met them yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Yes BUT what you like isn't quite the "real" thing. It's the fantasy of the person you have built in your head, using some of the things you know about them, and you inventing the things yu don't (because you haven't met them yet)
    Yeah, this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    True, but then meeting someone in real life you still invent things to fill gaps you don't know, it takes a long time to really get to know someone fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    True, but then meeting someone in real life you still invent things to fill gaps you don't know, it takes a long time to really get to know someone fully.
    Yup to the original question and yes I agree with you. I am also a believer of the fact that people can sorta change (especially during the teens) and in the end you might not know the person in front of you at all...

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. why who has caught your attention.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

(Original post by markberry91)
    Yes it is. why who has caught your attention.
    well i was just wondering what peoples opinions on this were.. ive been speaking to someone for aaages now.. not even sure why we haven't met yet tbh? but i think i've started to develop feelings for them.. but i didn't really know if it was normal, seeing as i haven't met them

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's possible if you've gotten close to them, like someone mentioned skype/webcam/msn allows you to get quite a realistic idea of what they are like. BUT be careful that you aren't just liking your idea of them, rather than the actual person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well i was just wondering what peoples opinions on this were.. ive been speaking to someone for aaages now.. not even sure why we haven't met yet tbh? but i think i've started to develop feelings for them.. but i didn't really know if it was normal, seeing as i haven't met them
    Its perfectly possible, otherwise the online dating market would not exist.

Its perfectly possible, otherwise the online dating market would not exist.
    this is very true. but i know a lot of people who have met up over the internet, gotten into a relationship.. and it never worked out:/ maybe this is why im so reluctant to do so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    this is very true. but i know a lot of people who have met up over the internet, gotten into a relationship.. and it never worked out:/ maybe this is why im so reluctant to do so..
    A friend said something to me a while ago, there is no point trying to justify that something hasn't worked just because relationships haven't worked out in the past for you or others. All relationships fail, unless you die or your partner dies at the end of the day. I have had a relationship with someone I met online, it went well, we went out for a year and a bit. Broke up, yes, but if I had of met her though a friend, or in any other way, we still would have broken up I think.

Go for it - what do you have to lose?

A friend said something to me a while ago, there is no point trying to justify that something hasn't worked just because relationships haven't worked out in the past for you or others. All relationships fail, unless you die or your partner dies at the end of the day. I have had a relationship with someone I met online, it went well, we went out for a year and a bit. Broke up, yes, but if I had of met her though a friend, or in any other way, we still would have broken up I think.

yeah i suppose i can't really judge on other peoples relationships..
    in answer to your "what do you have to lose?".. i'm afraid to lose one of my closest friends if something negative does come out of it, but then again that can happen with anyone.. so, yeah.. nothing i guess:/

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you like the idea of them that you have in your head. Whether you'll still like that person when you meet them face to face is a different thing.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by inspiringsoul)
    x
    As you neged me, yet haven't said anything in reply, would you like to justify why you disagree, as I assume thats why you negged me?

ReputationRep:
    id say yes. though it can go both ways, they can share the real them with you, which they wouldnt do otherwise OR they could be a fake version of the real them.
    so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know if you haven't tried meeting him? I certainly think it's possible. It probably would be a little different, but if you speak the same way as you would in person, I don't see why you wouldn't get a good idea of what the person is like. I'm going to take my own advice because I am in the same position. The only way you';ll find out is if you meet him wish you luck!

ReputationRep:
    Like maybe, certainly not love.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.