Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running substitutes? Quite big. Watch

ReputationRep:
    With the cold weather and everything and a lot of snow around where I live, I haven't been able to go running properly but now that the roads are clear, my running trainers are out and I shall be road running until the park is clearer and I can get back to running down there, just wondering any great advice on better ways of exercising than road running since I am not a big fan of it with my slightly dodgy knee.

I have a water rower at home which I'm trying to use daily, although I really want to keep my running fitness at a top level for when the rugby season starts back in January.

Any ideas guys?

ReputationRep:
    Feels kinda obvious but treadmill?

ReputationRep:
    My dodgy knee means I can't handle the pressure of a treadmill since they are notoriously bad in terms of the vibrations and so my knee starts to hurt after about 10 minutes on them, generally one of my runs lasts an hour to an hour and a half.

ReputationRep:
    SKIPPING, just get a jump rope... preferably speed, after couple weeks you should be able to get a good workout out of it after you get the technique down.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how to do speed skipping, not sure how to learn either, but it's a good method, also where do you get the rope from :P

ReputationRep:
    sport shop, online, asda, it's like under £5..... sports direct shops defo have them.

As for learning, go to youtube, get the basics down, do like few mins then build it up and work in skills when you got the basics down.

Do it.. it makes sense as it builds coordination and stamina, even though you'll have to invest some time/effort into it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for that!

ReputationRep:
    Jump Rope (Skipping).

I challenge you to 100 Burpess....Straight set with minimal rest.

When or if that's too easy, add in push-ups and / or squats. 1 Push Up, 1 Burpee, 1 Squat - 2 Push ups, 2 burpees, 2 squats - 3, 4, etc etc. 10 = 55 Reps Each. Get to 10 and I'd term you adequate.

Goal #1: Just try to finish all the sets.
    Goal #2: Time constraint yours. Finish all the sets in under eight minutes.
    Goal #3: Now it gets personal. try to beat your previous time.

ReputationRep:
    That's perfect, I shall start doing that Different Cloud, thanks :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.