Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about dealing with this sort of situation! I worked on Friends and Family for the Next Sale in the summer, which was fine, but about a month later they called me in to help them out on random days, because they had a shortage of hours on delivery.

Basically, I was paid properly for the first two days that I worked, and was not paid for the third day. I rang up several times/went in a few times/wrote a detailed letter explaining it to the person in charge of admin etc (very politely!) It took about 4 phone calls for them to tell me the reason I wasn't paid properly was because they didn't have any manager verification that I worked that day, and that they couldn't pay me, even though the correct hours were on my timesheet! I realise this was 3 months ago, but I'm very reluctant to just leave it to show them on principle that they cannot get away with not paying their staff... even though I'm not permenant or anything.

I'm pretty sure this is illegal, and although it's only about 35 quid they owe me it's a lot of money to me as I only earn about £15 a week at uni, and I go to uni 3 hours away which is why I can't really chase them about it while I'm there. When I told them I had written proof, I went in and gave them all the paperwork that they've sent me, the store manager has been really nice about it but it still hasn't been sorted out. :mad:

Does anyone know what I should do next? Do I definitely have proof that they should pay me and that it's illegal not to? I'm thinking about just going in and getting my paperwork back, and saying basically sort it out or I'm reporting you to head office! The thing is I don't want to be too rude to them because I have like, no money and could definitely do with some hours over Christmas...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think by kicking up a fuss like you have, you have already ruled yourself out over extra hours, I may be wrong, but they don't need you and could easily look for someone else?

Also over the £35 they owe you, is it really worth it? For just £35 or are you just doing it to be awkward?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think next treat their workers like ****. I did some temp work for them a while back, but similarly to you, they paid me for fewer hours than I worked. I didn't chase it up because I couldn't be bothered at the time, but I wish I had done now.
    It is illegal for them not to pay you, but I guess you need to be able to prove you worked those hours?
    I think I'll keep an eye on this thread, sorry I can't really offer any useful advice.

Any advice TSR Law students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drukarale)
    To be honest, I think next treat their workers like ****. I did some temp work for them a while back, but similarly to you, they paid me for fewer hours than I worked. I didn't chase it up because I couldn't be bothered at the time, but I wish I had done now.
    It is illegal for them not to pay you, but I guess you need to be able to prove you worked those hours?
    I think I'll keep an eye on this thread, sorry I can't really offer any useful advice.

Any advice TSR Law students?
    Hey, sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, it's not good is it.. I know I'm disposable staff or whatever, but in principle they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, what if it was £200 they owed me? I thought my timesheet would be proof enough, it was that they couldn't get manager verification... even though I remember the conversation we had on that day about working extra days :rolleyes: I realise it's not much to some people, but I could do a lot with £35... plus i slaved away for 7 hours on delivery to earn it

It is so much hassle to chase it up, but they haven't got back to me about working anyway, so I may as well be awkward Maybe I should just stand outside with a clever placard to annoy them haha. Or at least be like ''I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable and I'll be forced to make a formal complaint if this is not sorted out because it's unfair and your system has recognised that I worked on this day"

Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    I personally think you should definitely keep chasing this up... even if it feels like you're kicking up a fuss or whatever, on principle you should carry on, because it's not just about the £35, is it? You worked hard for them and they're refusing to pay you, even though you have proof of your hours... if you're not happy about it then you shouldn't leave it. Speak to them again, and if they aren't willing to sort it out as soon as possible, I think telling them you are willing to take it higher and meaning it is probably your best bet. Judging from the time its taken for you to get anywhere, they aren't taking it seriously. You shouldn't stand for that

I've recently had a run in with Next about pay too, and found the admin people rude and unhelpful. I got paid, went to get my payslip - and found that there wasn't one. I know how much I'm meant to have been paid and have been paid less than that, but I need the payslip to know why. The woman I spoke to actually laughed at me. I'm an Xmas temp - I hope they don't offer me a permanent place, because I don't want one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Next are *******s to their staff considering how much they try and rip you off buying their products.

Customer Advice Bureau and written statement explaining what is going on and how you intend to proceed. Give a copy to Next and also explain how you will seek other options. If they act try and fob you off go to CAB.

I doubt they'll want you back as a temp though. ....

ReputationRep:
    Next Customer Services, PO Box 4000, Sheffield, S97 3ET or call 0844 844 8333

Explain to them your problem.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    Next Customer Services, PO Box 4000, Sheffield, S97 3ET or call 0844 844 8333

Explain to them your problem.
    Good luck
    ...but the OP isn't a customer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Wow Next are *******s to their staff considering how much they try and rip you off buying their products.

Customer Advice Bureau and written statement explaining what is going on and how you intend to proceed. Give a copy to Next and also explain how you will seek other options. If they act try and fob you off go to CAB.

I doubt they'll want you back as a temp though. ....
    The CAB is actually Citizen's Advice Bureau, just in case you wanted to google their contact details (not to antagonise you, I promise, just trying to be helpful )

My Grandad actually works for CAB, and he's coming over later, so i'll ask him about your situation and get back to you can I ask what paperwork you have to prove it? Sorry, if you've already mentioned this

(Original post by honey_monster)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nevasleep)
    ...but the OP isn't a customer.
    Talk to the manger, or go onto this website below:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4018045

If you think you have not been recieved fair treatment. This is the official and legal website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honey_monster)
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about dealing with this sort of situation! I worked on Friends and Family for the Next Sale in the summer, which was fine, but about a month later they called me in to help them out on random days, because they had a shortage of hours on delivery.

Basically, I was paid properly for the first two days that I worked, and was not paid for the third day. I rang up several times/went in a few times/wrote a detailed letter explaining it to the person in charge of admin etc (very politely!) It took about 4 phone calls for them to tell me the reason I wasn't paid properly was because they didn't have any manager verification that I worked that day, and that they couldn't pay me, even though the correct hours were on my timesheet! I realise this was 3 months ago, but I'm very reluctant to just leave it to show them on principle that they cannot get away with not paying their staff... even though I'm not permenant or anything.

I'm pretty sure this is illegal, and although it's only about 35 quid they owe me it's a lot of money to me as I only earn about £15 a week at uni, and I go to uni 3 hours away which is why I can't really chase them about it while I'm there. When I told them I had written proof, I went in and gave them all the paperwork that they've sent me, the store manager has been really nice about it but it still hasn't been sorted out. :mad:

Does anyone know what I should do next? Do I definitely have proof that they should pay me and that it's illegal not to? I'm thinking about just going in and getting my paperwork back, and saying basically sort it out or I'm reporting you to head office! The thing is I don't want to be too rude to them because I have like, no money and could definitely do with some hours over Christmas...

Thanks!
    Reminder/Memo to me- don't work at Next!

ReputationRep:
    It would also hit them where it hurts if you tell a few papers. This is not on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    It would also hit them where it hurts if you tell a few papers. This is not on
    The OP is barking up the wrong tree. He/she should see it as an opportunity to claw even more money back, somehow. A bit of publicity or a small court case could net you a nice tidy sum.

ReputationRep:
    Or both...

ReputationRep:
    Get onto head office. When having trouble with the management of my branch (not Next, and over payslips rather than pay as such), I rang personnel and they were v. helpful, and it was sorted out v. quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Hello people, thank you all for your help
    I went in last week and spoke to the store manager, who's been alright about it.. but I made the mistake of going in to pick up my paperwork after I finished working at my other job and was therefore knackered and not in the mood for an argument lol.

We looked through everything that I gave them, but unfortunately I've gone and put the other half of the payslip somewhere I can't find (the one that has the details on about what you actually were paid, the one I have only shows hours worked).

I think it's still at uni and he said they can't really do anything about it until I find it, which does sound fair i suppose, as the only proof i have of what they actually paid me is my bank statement or something and they dont have copies at the store. I'm so annoyed at myself because knowing my luck I won't be able to find it. He said that if I brought that in he could try and sort it out but that the two papers go hand in hand and you wouldn't be paid for one without the other.. which sounds a bit dodgy but meh.

I did look online about what would happen if I reported them to citizens' advice bureau but there is a 3 month time limit thing and it's now past that. I don't really have the energy for that anyway lol. I feel too much of an idiot going in complaining 5 times about my 38 quid...

I'm going to look for it when I get back to uni and if I find it i'll go in and show them. Not sure I want to go making a massive fuss about such a small amount of money to other people! I was hoping for some work, but apparently I was meant to ring them when I got back from uni (they said I was meant to ring them!) and that theyre full for the sale but he'll ring me if there are cancellations which is now looking unlikely :/

ReputationRep:
    I used to work for Next and they underpaid me too! Didn't realise it happened so often! Wish I hadn't let it go now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.