The Student Room Group

Why do girls do this?

Scroll to see replies

forever alone...

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
LMAO at the dolls!
Reply 62
I had one guy best friend who I went out with but it didn't last.
I had another best friend who I went out with and it lasted... :smile: ... and was the best relationship I've had, because we were so close and had lots in common.

Just depends on the guy, I suggest just going for it. I stayed friend after breaking up with the first guy. There's nothing to lose :smile:
Original post by IlexBlue
I'm just going to state now, I AM a girl, and I am aware that not every single girl in the whole world does this, before I get people squawking "I don't do that STOP GENERALISING" but it's something I have noticed happening very frequently, and I'm curious about it.

There's been more than enough threads in H&R on this over the past God knows how long, so most of you will get what I'm talking about. The scenario is, a guy likes a girl. Really likes her. They're usually really good friends, but the girl is completely oblivious. Eventually, the guy comes out and tells her. Girl says she doesn't feel the same way (for some wishy-washy reason), so she and the guy stay friends. The girl will go out with countless other guys, but it never works out, and she complains to the guy that there are no decent guys out there and she will never find anyone, and asks "why aren't more guys like you?" But never goes out with guy. Guy pounds head against a brick wall.

Despite the fact that this guy would probably treat her really well, knows her well already and is probably a good match for her, she will never go out with this guy.

Why does this happen? Girls, why do you never consider 'the best friend' type of guy? I can't answer my own question because I've not been in this situation before. Are you put off by a trait of theirs? Is there just no attraction? Even if you've not experienced it, you can theorise. This happens so often, and you see it IRL and even on TV all the time. I think this quote summarises it well:

A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired.

All normal relationships tend to begin with sexual attraction (hence flirting) .. usually really good friends no longer tease or flirt with each other. something is lost - the guy doesn't get it and doesn't know how to react. the girl is either oblivious or embarrassed for the guy and unable to right the situation.
lol, ive never understood this, but then again ive never exactly been in a long term relationship before because it kinda irritates me and i feel as though im restricted to freedom. But yeah why is it that always the guy has to make the first move? I honestly dont understand. I mean like if some dude asks some girl out and she says yes then obviously she must like him back or whatever. Then why is it girls kinda wait for the guy to make a move on her. If she simply likes him why doesnt she come clear to him in the first place and ask him out? I mean the guy might also like her but he wants her to ask him out to see whether she feels the same way about him. =S
Reply 65
Original post by IlexBlue
Guy pounds head against a brick wall.

Sometimes the things people do defy all logical explanation...

To be honest, if a girl did this to a guy then she doesn't deserve him and neither would a guy if he did this to a girl.
Reply 66
Original post by basketofsnakes

LOL
Original post by ilovecoffee
I agree with you here and have to say i am guilty of this. Sometimes once someone is your friend your just too scared to take it any further for fear that if it does not work out you just messed up a really good friendship.

I think that's a big reason for both sexes not to act on feelings, and the longer the friendship goes on the worse it can get. People don't want to risk long term friendships on something which might not work out in the end because of reasons which you don't even know about yet, as even if you end it on good terms..it's never going to be like it was. I....sort of fear this myself when I think into the long term.
Reply 68
The guy is obviously a really good friend and crossing that line risks ruining the friendship which isn't worth the risk.
Original post by joanna-eve
I've got a twist on this story...my best male friend asked me out since he's desparately in love with me. I said yes because he's a great guy and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. The problem is, I'm not attracted to him the way he is me (I think he's lovely and there is something there, but he loves me WAY more than I love him) and now I can't break up with him or I'll lose a best friend!

I am in the exact same situation. Only worse because I've thought I've decided I didn't like him in that way and broke it off successfully, only to find i really missed him and wanted him back. Hence where I am now. So I can't do it again as I've already hurt him once.

To answer the OP, its cause he's too keen and/or has already been catergorized as a friend, so there's no exciting getting to know each other, nervous about meeting up, all that fun stuff that starts a relationship. That or the lack of attraction thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending