Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Simple, what does the word 'love' actually mean? How do you know when you've found it..

ReputationRep:
    Definitions of love on the Web:

- a strong positive emotion of regard and affection; "his love for his work"; "children need a lot of love"
    - any object of warm affection or devotion; "the theater was her first love"; "he has a passion for **** fighting";
    - have a great affection or liking for; "I love French food"; "She loves her boss and works hard for him"
    - beloved: a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
    - get pleasure from; "I love cooking"
    - a deep feeling of sexual desire and attraction; "their love left them indifferent to their surroundings"; "she was his first love"
    - be enamored or in love with; "She loves her husband deeply"
    - a score of zero in tennis or squash; "it was 40 love"
    - sleep together: have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm"; "Adam knew Eve"; "Were you ever intimate with this man?"
    - sexual love: sexual activities (often including sexual intercourse) between two people; "his lovemaking disgusted her"; "he hadn't had any love in months"; "he has a very complicated love life"

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1...q=define:+love

ReputationRep:
    "Something that was created by bank managers to make up overdrawn" Got to love Rimmer from Red Dwarf

ReputationRep:
    something you can feel, but can't touch.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being damned philosophical for pete's sake!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajuITcvjyPE

On a serious note: I'm still not entirely sure. It's not something I'm able to define. I think love, as opposed to infatuation, sexual attraction, etc., involves selflessness :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Idk but it gets thrown around a lot

this annoys me. My boyfriend keeps insisting he loves me.

we have only gone out for 4 months. and for the past 2, only seen each other once a week. i feel like he barely knows me that well. he insists he knows me enough to love me.

but it's infatuation?
    I'm infatuated by him.

ReputationRep:
    No such thing. A mixture of infatuation and attraction. That usually dies out after some time and what is left is loyalty. But then not everyone stays loyal.

ReputationRep:
    There is no objective definition of anything.

ReputationRep:
    there isnt a definition tbh, you just feel it and after a while too. not after a day (:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but if you are 14, you probably aren't in love, despite your protestations that you are.

ReputationRep:
    it is not about finding somebody to live with and to spern your life with but about finding someone you can´t live without.

ReputationRep:
    When someone else becomes more important to you than yourself.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really something that's easy to describe. It's the part of you that watches them as they sleep and feels all fuzzy when they walk in the room.
    When people have been in a relationship for a long time they can start to take it for granted, but there is still something keeping them together.
    Love isn't usually how it's portrayed by films and the media.

ReputationRep:
    Love is long term acceptance of a partner, with all their faults and inadequacies. Infatuation, by contrast, is blind lust that fades away quickly. 3 years of fire, 30 years of ashes.

ReputationRep:
    When you're doing bad at a game of Tennis.

But in all seriousness it's hard to describe properly, you really do have to feel it.

And then there's the hurt that comes after it...now that's impossible to explain, which is a good thing because you wouldn't really want to.

ReputationRep:
    Could there possibly be a worse idea than getting a bunch of teenagers to discuss the notion of love?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is my favourite definition after the many i've seen
    "Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."
    -St. Augustine from Captain Corelli's Mandalin
    I think its pretty nice and perfect

ReputationRep:
    This defines it perfectly, come on people get your groove on :sexface:

:dance:

Oh, can you feel it :jiggy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.