Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How easy is it to re-invent yourself and overcome shyness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    kk

ReputationRep:
    As long as you've got something to be confident about, it's pretty easy.

NB: Confidence has to come from somewhere, the myth that often states "just be confident" is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you have a bad haircut you're paranoid about??

ReputationRep:
    i think i know what you mean

don't listen to the trolls. you have a great deal of luck if you are good looking: when it comes to popularity, no matter what people say, good lucks are extremely important. just keep doing what you're doing until it becomes easier (it will!). you might be playing a role now, but once you start understanding how to play one role or another you'll be able to settle on the one that fits you best. in a sense our identities are created in this way, over time, as we grow up, whether we are conscious of it or not.

in other words, listen to the buddhists. this too shall pass.

ReputationRep:
    Overcoming shyness means that you go from a person you're not to the person you really are. It seems that you think that you need to become someone you're not. This is wrong. There is a personality underneath your shyness. Your shyness is not letting it come out. By overcoming your shyness, your personality will come out and you will be your true self.

Sorry to sound cheesy, but that is how it is.

ReputationRep:
    Will take time, but not impossible.

Anything that takes time to achieve is pretty hard, I guess. Depends how much you want it.

ReputationRep:
    yea it is easy to overcome shyness. just go step by step. you're not going to become really confident after a day, but build on it from little conversations, and within no time it will be ok. there was a time when i used to get nervous when random people spoke to me and so didnt have much to say, but now i am pretty confident..

if you work on it step by step then gradually it will just become habit and it all comes naturally to you.

ReputationRep:
    i seem to be a different person now than i was 6 years ago i guess it's just natural personality progression

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.