Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title states.
    And also I have a controlled assessment where I have to write an essay on George in 'Of Mice and Men' on Monday. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Wodeford

ReputationRep:
    Make a plan of 4-5 key points that you want to make in the essay.
    Employ the "PEE" structure (point, example, explanation) to ensure that you stay on topic, minimise waffling and get all the important bits in.
    Don't use long words if you aren't sure on their meaning.
    Keep reading books throughout the year, learn new words, expand your horizons. Study a few essays and work out what makes them good, what they all have in common etc.
    That's all that currently springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how your exams are structured but if they're anything like mine were, back in 09, you should be having a Comprehension paper, in which you will have a series of questions and a summary question, with each component weighing 50% of the paper.

I got the equivalent of an A* (my exams were under the CIE board and they have their own grading system) and for this specific paper, I worked out the summary question first. For this, and all questions of course, read them well and make sure you understand what it is you are expected to answer. Often, you will find that you're rushing into things, being nearly certain you're going to get it right and what happens is, you lose a mark or two, for having omitted something. That's that. Using marking schemes and examiner reports will help you and from there, work things out.

I hope this is of use for you.

ReputationRep:
    WAIT...there is no school on monday !

ReputationRep:
    I got 10A*s at GCSE and 1A. That A was in English. So don't ask me lol. Although I did get an A* in Engligh literature

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to teach somebody to be good at English because it's mostly about technique and how literate you are I guess. You're either good at it or not it seems at my school anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.