Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a British student completes a degree in Biomed/Biochem from a British university is it then possible for the student to apply for a Medical degree at a private American (USA) univeristy (Harvard, Stanford etc.)

If yes then how would he go about it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to sit the SAT, complete an online application, and submit it to the universities. Their online applications are a lot different to our UCAS ones, they're asked to write two essays which can be on any subject really- I was reading some example ones and they looked like short stories.

Check collegeboard for more information.

ReputationRep:
    Most places will require you to have done part of your undergrad in the US before considering you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    Most places will require you to have done part of your undergrad in the US before considering you
    Do you have a source because that seems a bit unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    You have to sit the MCAT exam, not SATs AFAIK (as Medicine is graduate only entry in the States) but for the majority of US colleges, they require a green card or have had long term residency in order to apply. Very few universities take on international students for Medicine. Those that do tend to require proof that you can fund the 5/6 years at the massively expensive rates. The list of whether they take international students or not is here: http://naahp.org/resources_InternatM...cle_June09.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    You have to sit the MCAT exam, not SATs AFAIK (as Medicine is graduate only entry in the States) but for the majority of US colleges, they require a green card or have had long term residency in order to apply. Very few universities take on international students for Medicine. Those that do tend to require proof that you can fund the 5/6 years at the massively expensive rates. The list of whether they take international students or not is here: http://naahp.org/resources_InternatM...cle_June09.htm
    Surely there must be some sort of financial aid, scholarships?

ReputationRep:
    Most institutions require foreign students to have completed at least the last two years of their undergraduate study in a U.S. college or university. An increasing number of medical schools require a bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. Even with a U.S. bachelor's degree, medical schools admit few foreign students since space is so limited. In 2001, of the 34,859 submitted applications, there were 17,456 accepted of which 230 were foreign students.

(http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/archive/archive.htm )

I wouldn't even bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Most institutions require foreign students to have completed at least the last two years of their undergraduate study in a U.S. college or university. An increasing number of medical schools require a bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. Even with a U.S. bachelor's degree, medical schools admit few foreign students since space is so limited. In 2001, of the 34,859 submitted applications, there were 17,456 accepted of which 230 were foreign students.

(http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/archive/archive.htm )

I wouldn't even bother.
    I wouldn't like to base my decision on data that is nearly ten years out of date.
    Also those statistics are amazing 50% acceptance rate overall (and of that 0.7% were international students) is fantastic.
    and btw that link is dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    For non-Americans? Almost certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it, and I believe the rare few that are available are awarded on incredibly high academic merit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Or sports achievements. One of my friends boyfriends plays football for Duke and in return gets a scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    I highly doubt it, and I believe the rare few that are available are awarded on incredibly high academic merit.
    Do you have any more information on this required year of study in the US, what if the applicant has already completed a degree outside of the US?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any more information on this required year of study in the US, what if the applicant has already completed a degree outside of the US?
    That's if they don't already stipulate long term residency. If you haven't studied in the States and don't have a reason to live there long term, bar the very few who take on International students (and that's on the basis you meet their high entry requirements including passing the MCAT which is worse than GAMSAT I believe) you will struggle to study in the US.

Have a look at the link I gave you, find the schools that take on UK students and look on their relevant web pages.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like to base my decision on data that is nearly ten years out of date.
    Also those statistics are amazing 50% acceptance rate overall (and of that 7% were international students) is fantastic.
    and btw that link is dead.
    230 is 1.3% of 17,456, not 7%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    230 is 1.3% of 17,456, not 7%.
    I meant 0.7%.

ReputationRep:
    I meant 0.7%.
    But you seemed pleased with the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    But you seemed pleased with the statistics.
    0.7% is pretty good from my point of view.

ReputationRep:
    You're a glass half full type of person then? You've got better odds applying to UK GEP courses...

ReputationRep:
    Competing with ~140 other people for 1 slot? Good? OK...

ReputationRep:
    first he would need to stop referring to himself in the third person, before one kicks his ass

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.