Best colour-scheme for a website? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Sorry if you've already seen this one - posted it on one of the other forums yesterday.

A few guys from UKL have been really helpful while I've been panicking about my website. Just thought I'd ask you what sort of 'look' you'd prefer. Bold as brass, or quietly subdued?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Sorry if you've already seen this one - posted it on one of the other forums yesterday.

A few guys from UKL have been really helpful while I've been panicking about my website. Just thought I'd ask you what sort of 'look' you'd prefer. Bold as brass, or quietly subdued?
I prefer subtle but bit with enough subtly done graphics to keep you interested. Bold sites just take drag your attention from the original message. Some examples here.

Aimhigher - http://www.aimhigher.gov.uk - Very hard to navigate far too many graphics, bold colours etc.

Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk - Very little colour but very easy to navigate and easy to use. Very easy to read articles.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it really depends on what your site is going to be about - eg Law firms or estate agents with only small sites would probably want a classy colour scheme - gold and burgundy or something. For a site with lots of text info you would want something easy to read eg black text on a lightish colour background.

If it's just a personal site, something that's easy to read but also looks quite stylish is good. As long as it's not red and blue text on a black background you can't go too far wrong.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

it all depends on the context of ur website, whats it about?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hope who ever voted red text on a black background was joking, If you know anything about the human eyes you will know how bad design practise that is.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I hope who ever voted red text on a black background was joking, If you know anything about the human eyes you will know how bad design practise that is.
its not THAT bad... kinda... sorta... click here and have a look at my boyfs website (black and red) it kinda looks cool. (he is ste btw)
Trousers
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
it all depends on the context of ur website, whats it about?

Cheers for all the replies!

The site's going to be a service to help with essay skills (grammar, punctuation, that sort of thing).

It needs to be easy to use, and clear. I've been advised to use a cream or yellow background so that people with dyslexia can use it more easily. What do you guys think about cream backgrounds? Trying to get around the fact that they usually look a bit crap.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

The site's going to be a service to help with essay skills (grammar, punctuation, that sort of thing).

It needs to be easy to use, and clear. I've been advised to use a cream or yellow background so that people with dyslexia can use it more easily. What do you guys think about cream backgrounds? Trying to get around the fact that they usually look a bit crap.
try baby blu
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I think cream looks ok with blue or gray - I usually call it tooltip yellow myself.

I think light gray often looks better than plain white #eeeeee and #cccccc are colors i use a lot.
Trousers
Rep:
?
(Original post by loftx)
I think cream looks ok with blue or gray - I usually call it tooltip yellow myself.

I think light gray often looks better than plain white #eeeeee and #cccccc are colors i use a lot.
Hmmm, I don't much like the idea of baby blue (sorry, custard).

Light grey might be a good idea if it will reduce eye-strain (mostly for me!).

I assume everyone thinks the text should be black, am I right?
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

to really find out what you want, you should make the basic layout of the site, and then play around with the colours, seeing what fits and what doesnt.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

no offence taken, besides my website is pink !!!!!!!!!!!!

balck good, but not all black. some colour here and there will make it lok mor interesting
Trousers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dickie)
to really find out what you want, you should make the basic layout of the site, and then play around with the colours, seeing what fits and what doesnt.
True, true. The problem is, a lot of the colour schemes I've tried work perfectly. It's just a case of knowing what sort of look is going to draw people in and be easier to use, that's all.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
True, true. The problem is, a lot of the colour schemes I've tried work perfectly. It's just a case of knowing what sort of look is going to draw people in and be easier to use, that's all.
to be fair, if i find an educational or eduction help site and it is plain broin colours, i click off it. whereas if the colour scheme is bright and inviting i look. there go
Trousers
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
to be fair, if i find an educational or eduction help site and it is plain broin colours, i click off it. whereas if the colour scheme is bright and inviting i look. there go
A-ha! I knew it. Anyone else do this?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think yellow's and reds make the best colourschemes... like at this wonderful website or mine!! Visit it and tell me what you think via the guestbook on the front page

huge hugs to anyone who does... I'm not feling very well at the mo, this would really cheer me up (do I sound desperate enough yet? lol)
Trousers
Rep:
?
(Original post by rednirt)
I think yellow's and reds make the best colourschemes... like at this wonderful website or mine!! Visit it and tell me what you think via the guestbook on the front page

huge hugs to anyone who does... I'm not feling very well at the mo, this would really cheer me up (do I sound desperate enough yet? lol)
Ah, poor you. What's wrong?

Had a look at your site. That yellow is, er, interesting! It's definitely eye-catching though, and that's what you want for personal sites. Have you thought about doing anything else with it?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah, poor you. What's wrong?

Had a look at your site. That yellow is, er, interesting! It's definitely eye-catching though, and that's what you want for personal sites. Have you thought about doing anything else with it?
stupid back ache and general feeling flu-like (depsite having had a flu-shot!!)... the yellow can come out if you view the site in a different browser/colour setup to my pc - looked at it on my boyfriend's comp the other day and it looked awful!!!

Havn't got any real plans for it yet... dunno what to do with it.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
stupid back ache and general feeling flu-like (depsite having had a flu-shot!!)... the yellow can come out if you view the site in a different browser/colour setup to my pc - looked at it on my boyfriend's comp the other day and it looked awful!!!

Havn't got any real plans for it yet... dunno what to do with it.
i no how ur feeling! im feeling exactly the same! it aweful i can hardly breathe, my eyes keep tearing, and ma head aches. and no1s home so i cant go home!

i cudnt get ur site up btw, it was access denied
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
i no how ur feeling! im feeling exactly the same! it aweful i can hardly breathe, my eyes keep tearing, and ma head aches. and no1s home so i cant go home!

i cudnt get ur site up btw, it was access denied
it sux being ill doesn't it.

Hmmm, that access denied thing either means I've had my quota of bandwith or whatever limit they put on my website (thats what you get for getting em free) or it simply thought you were too cool for it lol.

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise